Why become a member? ×

Small combo for EUB. Any suggestions?

Chris Sharman

Hi all,

as per the title really, I am new to the EUB having recently taken ownership of an Eastcoast (rebranded Stagg I understand) and one of the bands I play for, Water for DOgs, have recently been exploring some more acoustic and chilled stuff using acoustics and piano. I would like to use my EUB on one or two tracks in a small scale live environment and I was wondering if anyone here uses a similar EUB in a small venue and has a recommendation for a suitable combo amp for the purpose.

Over to you m'learned colleagues...

• 3 weeks later...

Phil Jones Bass amps would be worth a look, they've got one to suit, from a double four, briefcase to suitcase depending on the volume you need.

Another good choice would be a small GK mb head with a Barefaced one10.

Lots of other really good options too, great time to be a bassist. 😊

Some players also use the Markbass 802
[url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=241"]http://www.markbass....tail.php?id=241[/url]
Although they're a bit pricey new, they sometimes come up for sale secondhand on here. I haven't owned one of these, but I had a Markbass 210 combo, and that was great with DB. Still have a Markbass 210 cab and that's brilliant too.

You could also try the TC electronic equivalent of the Markbass, it's also a 2x8 - think it's BG250-208 (250W). I had one myself a while back. It was great - really compact & lightweight. Sounded pretty good with DB too. I sold it purely because I wanted a bit more headroom when playing bass guitar. Wish I hadn't sold it actually, as it was pretty neat for taking to rehearsals & smaller venues

Don't be fooled into thinking that larger speakers would be better for DB. I've found the reverse to be the case - the smaller the speaker the better. Someone once did tell me that the smaller speakers have quicker "recovery time" which works better for DB string dynamics - or something similar! I definitely think there's something in this though, as whenever I've played DB through 15" speakers, the low end always seemed less defined and more "boomy"

Good luck with your search

Edited by Marc S

In the tradition of suggesting a combo you own yourself, I'll suggest an Eden EC28.

It's a 2 x 8, 180 watt combo. The thing about this amp is that the full 180 watts are used internally, not only when using an extension cab. So it's a loud and deep sounding little beast and keeps its tone right up to max volume - no distortion or farting!

GAK have them on sale at the moment for £249. They have been retailing at £439 since they were introduced.

The EC28 can match the Markbass 2 x 8 which costs more than twice as much. They are also light to carry and seem very robust.

Frank.

[quote name='Chris Sharman' timestamp='1468883246' post='3094099']
Hi all,

as per the title really, I am new to the EUB having recently taken ownership of an Eastcoast (rebranded Stagg I understand) and one of the bands I play for, Water for DOgs, have recently been exploring some more acoustic and chilled stuff using acoustics and piano. I would like to use my EUB on one or two tracks in a small scale live environment and I was wondering if anyone here uses a similar EUB in a small venue and has a recommendation for a suitable combo amp for the purpose.
[/quote]

Acoustic Image, especially the 210 model. Although if you're only going to be using the EUB for one or two tracks, it might be worth considering just going through the PA, assuming a decent one is in use. I've played quite a few open mikes and quickie sit-ins that way pretty happily with my BSX.

• 2 months later...

I tried a PJB "compact suitcase" the other day .. not with my DB sadly; only with my fretless EB. But I reckon it could work for double bass too as it's very transparent and not "boomy". I'm teetering on the brink of ordering one. The only drawback really is that despite being compact it's quite heavy (40lbs)

Tried an AER amp 1 a couple of years back and found it incredibly well made with a very nice sound, but rather dull sounding with an EB until I'd pressed all the "enhance" / "colour" / "presence" sort of controls and £1200 odd is a lot to pay. The PJB sounds good without all those buttons to press and brought out timbres in my old Wal EB that I hadn't really heard before.

I asked the bloke in Bass Direct about alternatives and got the following replies:[list]
[*]Gallien Kruger - no good these days, awful and dull sounding (I concur to an extent as I tried one recently with my DB = pretty damned good and with my EB = dull)
[*]Mark Bass - OK for EB but too mushy for Double Bass
[*]PJB briefcase / bass cub etc (ie the smaller PJBs) - don't shift enough air, so sound a bit thin. (I tried a PJB "fightcase" once and that was OK, nice sound but mebee a bit toooo refined)
[/list]
Said comments may well be as much due to the fact that the PJB compact flight case and PJB double 4 were the only tiny combos he had in stock!

so, Chris S, did you make a decision? If so what?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone tried the PJB Bass Cub with the PB-100 powered cab?

The total ought to be something like the suitcase compact I guess, but a little less powerful at 200W rather than 300W. It costs a bit more, but has the advantage of being splittable downable, according to whether you need all four speakers (which in a small pub jam session, I don't).

The only PJB I have heard recently, sounded pretty good with an EUB through it. It was in a small pub though.

Does it have to a combo? If not I will back up the suggestion of a Barefaced One 10 with whatever head takes your fancy. It is what I use for big band rehearsals.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1477651375' post='3163556']
The only PJB I have heard recently, sounded pretty good with an EUB through it. It was in a small pub though.

Does it have to a combo? If not I will back up the suggestion of a [u][b]Barefaced One 10 [/b][/u]with whatever head takes your fancy. It is what I use for big band rehearsals.
[/quote]

I recommended the Eden EC28 earlier in this thread, it's a great combo but I've since replaced it with a Barefaced one10 powered by a GK MB200 and I'm more than pleased with the results. The one10/MB200 rig cost more than the Eden combo but it's half the weight and size and performs as well or maybe even better.

I'd highly recommend this setup.

Frank.

I used to run my Stagg EUB through a PJB Briefcase and it sounded pretty good to me, but your not going to keep up with a drummer as the PJB 5" speakers are not the most efficient.

Although I no longer have an EUB, I'm using a TC BG250 2X 8" combo with my fretless for 'acoustic' gigs that I'm pretty sure would sound good with an EUB, and would be loud enough to gig with imho especially in an acoustic style gig

I found the BG250 2x8" struggled with my BSX EUB, having insufficient input gain. It might be that your Eastcoast has a hotter output. It should then be ok for acoustic gigs but I quickly found it was not up to big band rehearsals. As a reference, the SWR Workingman's 10 I had coped a lot better until the amp failed.

Edited by DBerriff