Why become a member? ×

Peavey Millennium USA - why so undervalued...?

bassmayhem

I bought a bass just because I couldn't resist it. I've had one before and really regret I ever let it go. Well, now everything is as it should be...
This Peavey Millennium USA was for sale a LONG time home in Sweden; the price went down and down, and at last I couldn't resist buying it. Such a treasure is just criminal to let pass.
I've had a bunch of Laklands, the five string 55-94 and 55-02 series, and this bass is as close as it gets without the Lakland name, minus one string. The only real practical differences are:
- no passive bypass mode,
- no coil switch on the MM pup,
- no compound radius and
- 35" scale on a four string.
Other than that it is more or less the same bass. Say I, who have/had them both. Another significant difference is the second hand market value. This bass is barely unsellable, and Lakies sell easily. Well, here is the beauty. Really, it was the colour that made I couldn't resist it; the most flamboyant night clubbish looking bass I've ever seen or owned...
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/20160715_130308_zpsj2fktswn.jpg[/IMG]
I paid £265 for this bass in MINT condition, with original hard case in immaculate condition, and a new set of D'Addario strings. (!!!)
Anyone out there who share my opinion on these basses?

Bassmayhem

I'd love to share your opinion but I don't own a USA Millennium,not through lack of trying though :) Saying it cost £265 just adds salt to the wound, I'd have been flying
in from Scotland to buy it.

The variable mid preamps on these are first class,there's one in my Cirrus custom,and if the neck's anything like the G bass you won't notice the 35". I certainly didn't :D

Congratulations on a very nice bass and thanks for giving me hope I may yet find one in Europe.

It's all about brand name and kudos (like most of the music industry then). Peavey have to my mind, never been cool, despite putting out some very good instruments (T-40, i'm looking at you). They lack any well known endorsers and never seem to put anything out massively original or inspiring, generally safe/beginners gear.

However, the US stuff is top notch but I think people just see the name and go "oh, nevermind". Personally I find the US stuff to look too much like the cheap range (or is it the other way round ?) and they lack any instrument that really stands out as their flagship.

I think Cort have been in the same boat until recently with the Jeff Berlin models which are very original and seem to sell well.

Edited by Machines

I've got an ex-demo USA-made Millennium. I got it from Peavey UK a couple of years back, well before they shut up shop. I'm not going to say what it cost, for fear kodiakblair will have a serious cardiac episode. It came with a hard case, even.

I currently have a blue 5 string and it is magnificent. Interesting to note that Peavey's top of the line Cirrus ended up with the Millennium preamp as most players preferred it.

Had a white 4 string and let it go - very foolish. Balanced well, played great and recorded magnificently.

In addition, when I lived in the USA, I owned a Sarzo and a Cirrus and a T-40 - all of them just great. If I recall, the Millennium is a 35" scale.

Peavey USA offerings are all excellent but their value is affected IMO by the plethora of cheap basses they produce and lack of endorsers and players. If you check the used section at Guitar Centre, they usually have a few USA and prices are going UP!

[quote name='Tubster' timestamp='1469115634' post='3095903']
I currently have a blue 5 string and it is magnificent. Interesting to note that Peavey's top of the line Cirrus ended up with the Millennium preamp as most players preferred it.

Had a white 4 string and let it go - very foolish. Balanced well, played great and recorded magnificently.

In addition, when I lived in the USA, I owned a Sarzo and a Cirrus and a T-40 - all of them just great. If I recall, the Millennium is a 35" scale.

Peavey USA offerings are all excellent but their value is affected IMO by the plethora of cheap basses they produce and lack of endorsers and players. If you check the used section at Guitar Centre, they usually have a few USA and prices are going UP!
[/quote]
Yes, it is 35". One of the very few four strings out there with that scale. Here is the one I sold some time ago. I really liked the beautiful fingerboard, but the golden one is in much better condition.
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/20140625_211652_zpsfa1c5b89.jpg[/IMG]
Peavey has unfortunately devaluated their own brand by "polluting" it with cheap Asian models with almost the similar model names and appearance. The same with Yamaha. From 10 feet away you can not tell the difference between an entry-level model and a professional. Which one is $3520 more expensive? No wonder they have NO status...

Edited by bassmayhem

I see a couple of reasons to the state of affairs. "Brand" being one of them

When Peavey got into the guitar business in 78 it was in response to a kinda heavy handed Fender sales ploy, USA stores were told if they wanted
to sell Fender guitars they had to also sell Fender amps. Being a new kid the T series needed plenty features and a low price,nearly half Fendér/Gibson
prices.

Foundations and Furys followed,again at low prices.This i reckon was the start of things,Peavey got thought of as "good enough" but entry level.

When Dynas and others followed the price crept up as expected but the public still thought Peaveys should cost $200. Doesn't matter if it has Koa
body. New features and models are great but if folks ain't buying them that's a problem.

Sales in Europe were even lower,we all know if a bass costs $1000 in the US exchange rate and Vat put it close to £1000. If you got high cost factories
but low sales you go elsewhere to build.

I don't think the bxp are bad basses,there's 8 here with me,they just lack some refinement found on the USA versions.But they are a 3rd of the price
so I expect that.

Regarding low and high cost basses looking similar,that goes for everyone. All Fender P basses look the same to me so is that charge justified ?

There are good cheap basses, a lot of them. But - when the companies first introduce an expensive domestic model and then start to manufacture them overseas in low cost countries and lower the prices, then the more expensive models also will follow the fall. As happened with Peavey. Peavey has tried to play in all different series, but will forever be associated with entry level. Check music stores; what brands sell the cheap stuff and expensive stuff? Fender, Yamaha, Ibanez and Warwick. Here in Sweden it is close to impossible to sell a Warwick bass for more than coffee money. Ibanez, well, you have to almost give them away. Peavey: you have to give them away. Fender: you can sell Am basses för Chinese prices.

Anyway, the Millennium USA is the real deal for nearly no money...