Why become a member? ×

Learning methods: books best for basics?

highwayman

I've had my bass since mid-March & have been taking lessons for three months. My first tutor was very good at taking bass melodies that I was keen to learn and demonstrating/transcribing them for me to practice; this pleased me as I could play along to some of my favourite bass lines within a few weeks of starting bass.
I found though that after about seven lessons I was no closer to understanding any of the theory behind what I was 'copying'. I know my tutor was taking exams at the time & I felt he was distracted by that so, although I consider his teaching helpful in as far as getting me playing music that interested me, I decided to try someone else.

I had a lesson with another tutor who was entirely theory based but I just didn't feel inspired with him. What I wanted was an hour's lesson that mixed theory and being taught/shown something fun to keep me interested.

I'm going to forgo lessons for now and try to learn from home and so would like some advice please.
I have Ariane Cap's book 'Music Theory for the Bass Player', and while I intend to keep it and learn from it, I'm finding even the early sections too advanced for me. I'd really like to be recommended a tried and tested book that will gradually build solid foundations for the bass (only - if I can become proficient on the four string bass and no other instrument then I'll be more than happy)?

I also need to invest in a music stand: how about the Hercules BS100B?

I like the idea of a book over online lessons as I feel you can go at your own pace compared to online lessons which you'll be pausing & rewinding, also I have a laptop and an iPhone but not a tablet, which I think would be better suited to online material and no wi-fi: I tether my phone's data and 12 GB a month can run out quickly enough streaming videos.

Anyway, I'm feeling a bit flat with regards to how I progress from here, so any advice is appreciated.

Old, but still relevant, and recommended (disclaimer: uses 'dots', not tab...)...

[color=#800080]How to Play The Electric Bass, by Carol Kaye[/color]

... also...

[color=#800080]Hal Leonard Bass Method: Complete Edition[/color] (Spiral-bound; very useful for music stand use...), equally recommended.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dad3353

Thanks for the reply: my local library can get in books from the region for a nominal reservation fee so I'll give a couple of those a go (the ones you suggested aren't listed) - anyone familiar with Stuart Clayton's books? He's done a fair few & I've ordered his 'Xtreme Bass' from the library: it looks to be aimed at adolescents but that's ok.

I will though have a look for used copies of the aforementioned titles & have ordered a music stand (essential really as otherwise you're contorting yourself to see something on say the coffee table!).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1468949914' post='3094609']

[color=#800080]Hal Leonard Bass Method: Complete Edition[/color] (Spiral-bound; very useful for music stand use...), equally recommended.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Best beginners bass book ever - wish it had been around when I first started playing (that and Scott's Bass Lessons).

Just ordered Hal Leonard Bass Method For Kids (I'm 42...)

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1423498488/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me="]https://www.amazon.c...coding=UTF8&me=[/url]

As I mentioned before, I can already play a few bass melodies (Love Like Blood by Killing Joke is my favourite bass line [i]ever[/i]!) but don't have a ******* clue about the how & why - I'm hoping this will at least set me in the right direction.

Edited by highwayman