Why become a member? ×

What's the difference between......

paul_c2

I realise its probably come up before, but apart from slight specification differences (which can be compared by putting the spec sheet side-by-side) what's the main difference between for example, a Squier Jazz Bass, Mexican Fender, USA Fender? (Apart from the price and country of manufacture)? In other words, what pragmatically would you notice in day-to-day use?

I know that the Squier Affinity is the bottom end model but there's loads of others, and there's a little bit of overlap at the "top end" of the Squier range with the bottom end of the Fender range. To be honest I don't really understand why there needs to be so many slight variations, there's just so many!!!!

I found this video but frustratingly the USA Jazz Bass is so poorly set up that it renders the sound/tone comparison useless - the action and/or truss rod desparately need adjusting, listen to the low F and G notes they are full of fret buzz!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAj8789ksLs#t=270.87916

The main difference is the quality of the timbers used and the hardware and the electrics and possibly how many quality control steps are involved. Expensive Fenders have graphite rods in the neck to aid stability and help eliminate dead spots. This does not guarantee that the USA is always better than the Mexican nor a Mexican better than a Squier which is why it's always best to play the instrument before you buy if at all possible. If it's well put together and has a decent setup there's no reason why you can't happily gig with a Squier.

+1 to HowieBass - if you're planning on gigging then get a feel for the tuners and control pots as well, as they are often flimsier on cheaper basses. But I've played many a decent Squier and MIM P, so it's not a general rule for them.

My Mex Precision plays very nicely for me even in comparison to some very expensive instruments. It has also been gigged, stays in tune and does exactly what i bought it for. I have to say the Standard USA instruments imho don't warrant the extra cost of purchase.

MIM Standard to American Standard, there is an upgrade in the hardware and electronics used. On guitars certainly the American has a neck with rolled edges, not sure if that applies to basses. Going down to the Squier Affinity there will be an even further drop in the hardware and electronics. It'll probably be as cheap they can possibly find really.

Where it really gets muddy is comparing high end Squiers to low end Mexicans and high end Mexicans to low end Americans. By pretty much any account I've ever came across the high end Squiers are better, or at least as good as, the low end Mexicans despite costing less. Same with high end Mexicans being as good as low end Americans.

Another thing to note when talking about the price difference between Squiers and Fenders is that there are a lot of people who will pay extra purely to have one logo over the other. Just like when people pay 3 times the price for a polo shirt with a Ralph Lauren logo on it.

I would pipe up for (and muddy the water further with) Japanese Squiers and Fenders. To me they seem more consistent - at least the ones I have had. The two nicest Precision basses I have owned (and still own) have been MIJ mid 80s Squiers.

This video explains a lot of the differences. However my Squier vintage modified precision 5 string is my first choice gigging bass. Not because I'm worried about damage/loss/theft of my more expensive basses but because it's the one I find nicest and most comfortable to play.
I'd say my Squier is a very playable and usable instrument as standard but is even better as a platform for upgrades and modification to make it into an excellent instrument.
If Fender made a Mexican precision 5 string it might have saved me the effort of the upgrades that I'm in the process of carrying out but as its only available as an American Standard (costing around 6 times as much as the Squier) I'll happily put in the work.

http://youtu.be/qaUOaaOyhHE

Edited by Painy

I have both US and MIM Precisions. All are post 2012, when imo, the instruments really upped their game. The US are better than the MIM but if being honest, not nearly 3 times as good. I`ve also put the same pickup and electrics in the MIM that comes in the US Where however I do notice the difference is when playing in the band. The US has a much beefier depth to the sound. Seeing as pickups/electrics are the same what accounts for the difference - better quality woods maybe?