Why become a member? ×

Adding contours to Stingray: sacrilege?

highwayman

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1469149053' post='3096174']
You'd be paying a significant amount to devalue your bass by a significant amount.
[/quote]

Or he's paying a significant amount to make it perfect for him so he wants to keep it even more.

My own 2005 5 string has twin EMGs and been routed out for them. (Yes I did that to a limited edition one). It is now perfect for what I want. It's not going anywhere.

It is correct that modded EBMM instruments get more flack than say Jazzes. I imagine it is partly because of the way the EBMM forum is run with zero tolerance for mods or sometimes even discussions about non-EBMM strings!

Quite often the flack includes "Sell it and buy the bass you really want - don't ruin that!"

However there aren't any other production line basses with that neck, or with that string spacing. So if body contouring and different electronics are what you need to be changed there is no possibility if "buying the bass you really want" as it doesn't exist. Whenever I get that sort of crap I always ask - What non-custom bass can I buy with that neck and with 17.5mm string spacing etc etc that (for example) already has EMGS or whatever.

I've never got an answer.

It wouldn't devalue it for everyone, there would be plenty of people out there like you, me included, that would prefer a contoured body as long as it wasn't a bodge job.

I like the idea of having a custom body made though, or see if you can pick one up used even. That way you could return it to stock and sell the body if it came to it.

As stated previously, your best course of action would be to buy a late 80s/early 90s 2 band EQ Stingray with lacquered figured neck. It would have all the features of a Classic Stingray except strings through the body, but would have a contoured body.

You could sell your Classic Stingray and possibly end up with money to spare.

As Rodney72a said, modifying your Classic will simply devalue it and cost quite a lot of money - however it's your bass, your choice.

Edited by drTStingray

They're reasonably frequent on EBay, here or Talkbass - I guess it depends how choosy you are on colour. Some of the necks from that era are wildly figured. You'll need pre 93 or so for a laquered neck.

Note the Classic neck radius is different from the regular Stingray (7 and a bit v 11 and a bit inches radius) - suggest you try a regular one to check you like the neck feel first. I have both and whilst the Classic is very comfortable for me, the standard isn't that different in feel.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1469221542' post='3096854']
As stated previously, your best course of action would be to buy a late 80s/early 90s 2 band EQ Stingray with lacquered figured neck. It would have all the features of a Classic Stingray except strings through the body, but would have a contoured body.[/quote]

That's exactly it. They're out there and they're fantastic instruments.

And, whereas the Classics all have ash bodies, with the late 80s/early 90s Stingrays, you even have a 'choice' of body wood, depending on colour. Many were done over ash as well but there are also the Bluebursts which generally had poplar bodies or the Trans Reds which were over alder. Worth exploring, and they won't cost you as much as a Classic either.

Another thing, apart from the different fingerboard radius, is that the pre-1990 SR4s have a 4-bolt neck with the truss adjuster at the headstock. Looks great and it's just as easy to operate.

A couple of samples:

1989 Sunburst

[url="http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/72arodney/media/image_zpsbygtuk8h.jpeg.html"][/url]

1987 Trans Red

[url="http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/72arodney/media/Trans%20Red%20body_zpsbb6kevif.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/72arodney/media/Red%20Ray%20Head_zpskpxvy3fk.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by rodney72a

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1469251542' post='3096928']
As well as the radius being different, don't the classics have a narrow Jazz/Sterling width nut whereas the standard 2-EQs are wider like a Precision?
[/quote]

No - they are the same.

Lovely basses eh - they definitely are out there. I've got a 93 fretless with a beautifully figured neck - in fact when the Classic was introduced in 2010, the figured necks were a late addition to the model - the first batch didn't have them. EBMM has described them as representing the best of the pre EB and early 90s features, which they certainly do as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by drTStingray

I'm unlikely to get this done (if at all), until I reach what I'd consider to be a proficient performing standard (only been a bass-beginner since April).
I'd need to try a contoured 'Ray to see if they're much more ergonomic when standing with it, as that's the consideration here.
One positive in having this mod done: if (forbid) it should ever be stolen, then it would be pretty identifiable were the word to go out on here...

Edited by highwayman

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469469675' post='3098591']
I own a few of both, don't notice it during a gig tbh.
[/quote]

My USA SUB also has a slab body... and like Pete says, it's not very noticeable in action, really. I do prefer the contour but it's not a big deal to me.

Does it bother you, highwayman? Or you just think it would be nicer that way? If the latter, maybe try to play some contoured Stingrays to make sure it's really worth the expense.

TBH I bought my 'Ray just knowing I wanted a 2eq & also liking the fact that it had a string-through bridge (before I saw the 'bass light' I owned a fixed bridge Strat which was string-through & found it superior to other guitar bridges).
Ref. the Strat, I remember it fitted like a glove (when standing) & hence my (partial remorse) about my 'Ray being contour-less began...

I should definitely try (buy... no, I'm just starting bass!) a contoured 'Ray to see if it really is an issue.

For what it's worth, before buying my 'new' Classic I was checking out the gorgeous 70's models on Andy Baxter's website, and they're all slab bodied...

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1469477525' post='3098685']

I agree with this. My US SUB is perfectly comfortable to gig.

Frank.
[/quote]
I agree with StingrayPete to. After I modded my Ray34 (post# 4) I really noticed no change in playability or weight either.

Keep that beautiful bass the way it is

[quote name='R.I.P.' timestamp='1469501629' post='3098815']
I agree with StingrayPete to. After I modded my Ray34 (post# 4) I really noticed no change in playability or weight either.

Keep that beautiful bass the way it is
[/quote]

That's interesting. I was thinking about adding contours to mine (USA SUB) to reduce the weight. Maybe it's not worth the effort?

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1469502318' post='3098816']

That's interesting. I was thinking about adding contours to mine (USA SUB) to reduce the weight. Maybe it's not worth the effort?

Frank.
[/quote]
Unfortunately I didn't weigh it before and afterwards but there was no noticeable difference....I would say less then a pound was shaved off

If you are still relatively new to bass, I really think you should leave it. The contours don't make a world of difference. The Classic Stingrays are fantastic basses; my Stingray Classic 5 is the best bass guitar I've ever played/heard/seen in my experience. It is the perfect blend of old and new.

They are pretty expensive and basically a top of the range Musicman. PLEASE leave it as it is! :)