Why become a member? ×

Adding contours to Stingray: sacrilege?

highwayman

I really love several aspects of my Stingray Classic over the equivalent modern Ernie Ball 'Rays; the maple neck is not only a delight to hold but also beautiful to behold, and I much prefer the string-through bridge.
I am wondering though, if the EB-introduced contoured body would be more to my preference standing comfort wise... would it be sacrilege to have a luthier add the contours to my classic?
It's black, would they be able to get it looking like it rolled out like that, and what would it cost?
I think it would be my perfect bass then (but would it also be significantly devalued too?).

Yes it would devalue it. People generally like an original bass imo. A body re shape, then a partial respray. That quite a few work hours. I cant imagine that being cheap if it's a good Luthier. Best thing to do is get a quote. I'm not trying to put you off, but it's alot of work for a contour. Best of luck though.

Ps. Just a thought. I'm having just a gloss finish put on a bass body and it's £130.Gives you an idea of the pricing.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1468949145' post='3094602']
I think it would be my perfect bass then (but would it also be significantly devalued too?).
[/quote]

Surely if it was your perfect bass, then it becomes priceless to you , and sale value is never going to be an issue unless you hit absolute rock bottom in life.

[quote name='R.I.P.' timestamp='1468951408' post='3094620']
I love the contoured body's, I even modified a slab bodied RAY 34CA for Belly and Forearm relief, but I wouldn't mod a classic.

You might already know this, but the newer EB's are available now with contoured bodies.
[/quote]

The ebmm non Classics wont have the bits the OP wants to keep though, strung through, gloss vintage tinted neck, muted bridge etc.

I wouldn't do it to mine as I do not have a problem not having the contours and would defo hurt the value not that its for sale, I have fitted an East preamp to mine but that's reversable.

Good point StingrayPete........I also missed the part were he said "the EB introduced contoured body" which clearly means he knows of the new body shapes.....my bad OP

Now I'm off to get some more coffee

Edited by R.I.P.

[quote name='R.I.P.' timestamp='1468956547' post='3094700']
Good point StingrayPete........I also missed the part were he said "the EB introduced contoured body" which clearly means he knows of the new body shapes.....my bad OP

Now I'm off to get some more coffee
[/quote]

Ha no worries, it is the heat! :lol:

Thanks for the replies, maybe I will, maybe I won't. A current 2EQ 'Ray only appeals due to the contours, the "new" classic for everything else. So I'll keep this one.

I've just edited my profile to include my location, so suggestions of luthiers who could easily handle the proposed modification are invited please?

One thing I will note, EBMM instruments ALWAYS lose value with modifications, more so than most basses. Why? Well a lot of it comes down to those who want one in the first place. I started getting into Stingrays because of the aesthetics and tone, but the other factor was the fact that the bass needs zero mods. I like them how they make them.

Edited by Musicman20

Cutting the contours would not be an expensive job and take a couple of hours maximum. However the bass would then need to be completely refinished, which would not be so cheap!

Alternatively you could have a "spare" body made just as you like it and keep the original untouched. Then if you ever sold the bass you could put the neck back on the original body. This wouldn't be cheap either but it keeps the original intact with original finish.

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1469097062' post='3095659']
Alternatively you could have a "spare" body made just as you like it and keep the original untouched. Then if you ever sold the bass you could put the neck back on the original body. This wouldn't be cheap either but it keeps the original intact with original finish.
[/quote]

Or maybe just wait it out and find a contoured body SH and then mod that to accomdate the classic hardware?

If you're commited to modding though, I'd be tempted to drive up to Shuker Basses (45 mins from Manc says the website) and let them do it - very highly regarded round these parts! :)

Edited by Sammers

Still on-topic I think...

I'm thinking about doing this to my USA SUB, not because I have a big problem with the slab body but more to reduce the weight.

I'm not sure how much the weight would be reduced by contours but I'll work that out before I start. I did a few calculations once to see how rebuilding my AER amp two in lighter plywood would reduce the weight and the result was that it wasn't worth the effort and expense as it was minimal.

A pity because I absolutely love everything else about this amp but find the weight is getting too much as my years on the planet increase. :(

Adding contours to a US SUB though is a bit different as I'd do it myself and do a respray from cans. I'm not really bothered about the value because it's not worth as much as a Classic Stingray. Still, it's a superb bass and a very economical entry to Musicman.

Any thoughts on the SUB contour modifications welcomed.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1469104570' post='3095771']
Still on-topic I think...

I'm thinking about doing this to my USA SUB, not because I have a big problem with the slab body but more to reduce the weight.

I'm not sure how much the weight would be reduced by contours but I'll work that out before I start. I did a few calculations once to see how rebuilding my AER amp two in lighter plywood would reduce the weight and the result was that it wasn't worth the effort and expense as it was minimal.

A pity because I absolutely love everything else about this amp but find the weight is getting too much as my years on the planet increase. :(

Adding contours to a US SUB though is a bit different as I'd do it myself and do a respray from cans. I'm not really bothered about the value because it's not worth as much as a Classic Stingray. Still, it's a superb bass and a very economical entry to Musicman.

Any thoughts on the SUB contour modifications welcomed.

Frank.
[/quote]

I recently put a belly cut and forearm contour on my USA SUB... It didn't make much difference to the weight in terms of picking it up out of the rack, but it definitely feels lighter once strapped on due it not sitting at an awkward angle.

I've got a fretless one I'm going to do the same to as well.

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1469180704' post='3096334']
Don't know if this will catch on, but I suggest a pre-EB 'Ray could be referred to as a 'Classic Stingray' & the recent EB homage (string through, slab body etc.) as the 'Stingray Classic'...
[/quote]

Knowing EBMM, they'd probably go for calling the new one the 'Sterling era Stingray Classic' :D

[quote name='rodney72a' timestamp='1469149053' post='3096174']
You'd be paying a significant amount to devalue your bass by a significant amount.
[/quote]

devaluing it for some, not everyone.

If I have a bass I love because of its sound/feel/whatever but it's not perfect, and I know I can do something to improve it... I'll do it. Why so precious about the perceived monetary value instead of enjoying playing an instrument, which is what they're for?

So, one day he may want to sell it. If the job has been done well, there'll be buyers for it, no doubt. He won't be the only one who loves everything about the Classic but things 'ah, I wish it had contours'. And what's the worst that can happen? It fetches £200 less or something? Big deal, at least he'd really enjoy it while he had it without 'ah, I wish it had contours' nagging thoughts.

Some think it's sacrilege to change the preamp on a Stingray!

Funny nobody cares if it's an Ibanez or Fender.

Play it, enjoy it, modify it if it makes you enjoy it better. We only live once ;)