Why become a member? ×

My New Reg No.

StevieJJ

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469003836' post='3094929']
I'll mention this now, then. . . . when I was a kid PEN15, an S1 Bentley, used to be seen driving around the Ealing area, west London, a lot. Always caused a snigger.
[/quote]

Think that belonged / belongs to Steve Parrish, former motorcycle / truck racer, now commentator?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1469004434' post='3094939']
we must be related mines BV54 LKJ, don't really get personalised number plates myself, bit to show offy for me
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't really get them either, but at least StevieJJ's makes sense. It's always amusing to see plates people have obviously gone to the trouble of acquiring (and in some cases tweaking) that just make you think "OK, what's that supposed to say then?"! :huh:

If people really feel the need to advertise their name, job or hobby on their car, what's wrong with some stick-on lettering?

Vanity I suppose, which is fine if you're that way inclined.

But what I really can't understand are the ones like 'BMW 320’ on a BMW 320 The car came with a badge didn't it? :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1468957740' post='3094714']
You should start a club, there are quite a few of you now! Where's Roger (Bassace)?
[/quote]

Still alive, Pete. Still alive. We should celebrate the fact that we play an instrument that can be denominated on a plate without tweaking. I'm always amused by the numbers people try to sell in the Sunday papers that stretch the imagination to the limit. And ask a lot of dosh for the privilege. I once saw a plate reading LYR1C. Don Black perhaps?

Edited by bassace

I've got a photo somewhere on an old phone of a Nissan Pickup with the plate B16 NOB that I saw in a Sainsbury's car park.
My favorite though was a wealthy dentist who lived on the same road as me a few years back. He bought his wife a shiny new red 911 Carrera but then bought an old banger from an auction (seem to remember it was an old Cortina but could be wrong) just so he could get the registration transferred over to the Porsche. It was BOL 10X.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1469008672' post='3094994']
I like seeing rare and obviously expensive number plates driving around on 12 year old a Merc C class.
[/quote]

Careful, Machines. Mine's now eight years old. Perhaps I'd better think of a change. Didn't realise I had to keep up with the plate.

A friend chose "WA*KER" for his ride in California but got told it had to go once someone in the motor vehicle registration department found out what it meant.

Being an Ivan I always wanted 1VAN but apparently Jeff Beck has that AND 2VAN 3VAN and probably all the rest.....

*sigh*

Edited by ivansc

There was an old Vauxhall Vectra running round Corby at one point with the reg MU51CAL on it, it was one of those second glance moments.

I worked for a company back in 1992 that took delivery of 10 Vauxhall Cavalier company cars J40UAR through to J49UAR and sitting in the middle was J46UAR, the company sold the plate for more than the car cost!