Why become a member? ×

90's Bass combo?

tertiumquid

Yup, I had a Peavey Combo too! I had no idea that they were the "thing" back in the day, they were just the amp in my price range that the local shop sold!
My first one was a Microbass then I bought the TKO115, being young I was paranoid that it was so heavy it was going to fall through my bedroom floor and into the living room below.

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1469139899' post='3096132']
I spent much of the 90s playing through a Laney PB150-410 (like this, but a combo rather than separates). Obvs I wanted a Trace, but this was more than capable and I was well pleased with it.

[/quote]

The 90s did seem to be a time of "the more bands your graphic EQ has the better"... Trend seems to have moved much more to simple parametric (if that even) EQ these days.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1469116065' post='3095907']

Recently we had a TNT140 in our local paper. By chance I bumped into the bloke who bought it who said he'd paid £80 for it. Are they any good?
[/quote]
Yes, and after carrying one around for a bit it makes you favourite to win The Worlds strongest man competition!

My bass amp was my Valvestate 8080. I have always been a guitarist that plays bass. I acquired a Sound City bass amp from the 70s soon after.

The Marshall was quite clean, but no match against the JCM900 50w my guitarist used. If I'd have known at the time I would have closed up the speaker cabinet for a few more for award-facing db!

Was the Pro-Bass the equivalent of the Pro-Tube? I had the AOR30 for a few years. It sounded great for bass too, but the Valvestate was louder.

I had a 30w BC Rich bass combo with 12 inch speaker. Inaudible in almost any practical application, which was probably a good thing considering my playing at the time.

No love for the Hartke Kickback range? I've still got my head version of the 1400 series and it's bloomin' pokey. Didn't have graphic eq though so not cool enough.

From about 1988 to 1995 I used a Dynacord BS412 combo, with an EV 15. Only 250 watts with the extension cab but the best bass sound I'd hear on a gig for years after. Heavy as a medium sized planet and even as a fit 30 something I had to make a dolly board so I could move it around!

Sadly, they don't seem to have survived in great numbers. I've never seen one on a gig, but I did see one in Charley Chandler's shop window.

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1469044256' post='3095388']
A vote for the Trace GP6 Kevlar 2x10 combo, whatever they called it 7210 or something like that. But the sound I lusted after was always the SWR Redhead 2x10 combo. Hernia belts came as standard......

LD
[/quote]OOOH YEsss!
First time I tried one was at Corner Music in Nashville. Blew me away. And then I saw Tim Drummond use one with er um I think JJ Cale (Jim Keltner on drums) at a small venue and the sound was indeed fantastic. Experienced my first Pedulla fretless around the same time and couldnt afford either!

Edited by ivansc

I sense a theme developing here.

My first proper amp in 1991ish was a Peavey TNT 115 (not the Black Widow version though - what was the slightly lesser cousin called?)
That got traded up for a Trace Elliot 7215 in the mid-90s, which I've still got.

For size and weight reasons, the Trace might be on the way out soon though. Twenty years(!) on though, and I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I had a Laney, either the DP150 or PB150, and an Ohm 15" cab. PXed them for a Gallien-Kreuger 200MB which weighed about 7kg (the forerunner of the current MB150 combos). That did me for a good few years, only sold it a year or two ago (although I'd gone back to bigger amps about 10 years ago).

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1469704187' post='3100435']
one down from the Black Widow speaker was the Sheffield speaker?
[/quote]

A bit of googling suggests it was the Scorpion, which sounds familiar. But now I'm confused as to which was the better spec'd model, the Scorpion or the BW?

It was one of these: http://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-peavey-tnt115-tnt-115-bass-amp-amplifier-scorpion-equipped-j1378/181946187095/

I think one of the main reasons for trading up to the Trace was handles. That one strap on top was a killer, compared to the comfy spring loaded side handles on the Trace.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1469704812' post='3100451']
I think one of the main reasons for trading up to the Trace was handles. That one strap on top was a killer, compared to the comfy spring loaded side handles on the Trace.
[/quote]

Yeah. I had the same problem with my Ashdown but I put some side handles on myself with Ashdown's guidance. I have a thread about that in the forum somewhere. Even though combos are seen to be "small" or compact, the one carrying handle does not give you good control of it like you get using both hands.

Good to see Peavey getting a mention,i was in the market for a combo in the 90s,loud but reasonably portable.Did a bit research and went for a Peavey Tmax115.It was £800 back then,500watt head 1x15 black widow,tube and solid state.
Still got it,using it tonight.1X15 went a while back so i use it with 2x peavey 2 x10s taking it to full power,the head is now rack mounted
It sounds immense and i still get comments and praise at the sound

• 2 months later...

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1469703561' post='3100425']
I sense a theme developing here.

My first proper amp in 1991ish was a Peavey TNT 115 (not the Black Widow version though - what was the slightly lesser cousin called?)
That got traded up for a Trace Elliot 7215 in the mid-90s, which I've still got.

For size and weight reasons, the Trace might be on the way out soon though. Twenty years(!) on though, and I have no idea what I'm looking for.
[/quote]

Another one here who had a couple of 'non black widow' 150 TNTs back in the day. First was a wedge shaped followed by a standard combo. Both purchased used from Carlsboro in Nottingham (sad sigh for a great but long gone Shop).

If I recall the lesser speaker was known as the Sheffield. A bit harsh on Sheffield I thought.

[quote name='woodenshirt' timestamp='1469057360' post='3095505']
The best.....
Peavey TNT 150 or Peavey Combo 300. During the the 90's I had one of each and linked them together, bleedin' awesome!!

Mart
[/quote]

Seem to remember my Combo 300 had a bi-amp facility in it. Never let me down but I'm paying the price now, years later with my back :lol: