Why become a member? ×

90's Bass combo?

tertiumquid

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1469019523' post='3095117']
Either would be vastly superior to the carlsbro 115 monstrosity i gigged in the 90s....
[/quote]

Haha I had one a few years ago when I first started playing was an upgrade to my tiny practice amp.
Was pretty loud but very dull and had a horrible droaning noise I could never eq out. Unfortunately very reliable too. Apparently its still going strong.

Trace Elliot Commando 15. (May even be pre-90s.) I only got it a few years ago, I paid next to nothing for it, I use it almost every day. It's big and quite heavy, but really good for home use, I got it after playing through one in a rehearsal room and being surprised by how good the tone was. Not usually a fan of Trace, but there's something about the Commando series that is different from their usual stuff.

Also my cats use it as a bed, scratch post and general meeting area so it's clearly invaluable to them.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1469022969' post='3095165']
Haha I had one a few years ago when I first started playing was an upgrade to my tiny practice amp...

...Apparently its still going strong.
[/quote]

Maybe it's the same one I had still doing the rounds :blink:

After a few mix and match heads and cabs I managed to accumulate enough to buy a new Trace Elliot 7215 combo.
I had lusted after a trace for many years.

It sounded fabulous, however, after only three months service, playing a couple of pub gigs a week and a few rehearsals, at a gig the last note of the last "encore" died suddenly.

When I tried it at home the next day,nothing,dead,kaput. :huh:

Back to the shop it went and they sent it to Trace for repair.

A few days later I got a call to come in to the shop. I arrived to be met by a very sheepish and embarrassed sales manager, who informed me that Trace had refused to repair the melted cone speaker as I had been playing too loudly :blink:

Now apart from the fact that I had never had the volume above 7 (something I could not possibly prove) I asked why they made a combo that was capable of melting it's own speaker?
They outright refused to do anything to help and wanted a small fortune to replace the speaker.

I insisted that I could not afford a repair and asked what the shop could do about it. I had used this shop for a few years and bought quite a bit of gear from them.

The manager offered to take the trace ,in it's non working state ,in exchange for a new Peavey TNT with a 15" Black widow speaker....in fact he ordered one in especially as he insisted that the Black widow was much better than the speakers in the combos he had in stock :i-m_so_happy:

I was disappointed at losing the "kudos" of playing through a Trace but, The Peavey was fantastic :gas:
I kept it for years!

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1469087725' post='3095570']
Ah yes, cats and carpet covered amps. Not a good combination if you like your gear to stay pristine :-)
[/quote]

Yeah, cat hair has a way of weaving itself way into the deepest core of that amp, there's is no way of getting rid of it. And if you do clean it up they just see it as a challenge. The last 2 days of extreme heat has resulted in thick clumps of the stuff all over the house, it's quite scary.

My Trace combo was probably built in the 90's but I've not had it quite that long, about 12 years. No signs of imminent cone meltdown yet though fortunately. Don't think I've had it above vol 4 yet, plenty loud enough for pubs n clubs.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1469026463' post='3095197']
Surely the only option for a 90's bass combo isn't on there!

The Peavey TNT 150!
[/quote]

Recently we had a TNT140 in our local paper. By chance I bumped into the bloke who bought it who said he'd paid £80 for it. Are they any good?