Why become a member? ×

Trade value, Sale value.?

bubinga5

People will except less for a sale because it means they can put the money towards buying exactly what they want.
Rather than potentially trading it for something they don't entirely want, but will accept.
I would guess this is the thinking behind it. Although, i agree with you, i don't get it really

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1469026201' post='3095194']
Sorry I cant explain but I agree with you
[/quote]

I have absolutely nothing to add to what Paul says except 'I agree'

wow that was pointless :blink:

And when it all comes down to uit, prices quoted on stuff for sale are generally the sellers most optimistic take on what he hopes someone will pay. Anything being sold is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Sadly an awful lot of sellers think that just because THEY want a certain price, a seller HAS to pay it. (heh:)

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1469434373' post='3098159']
And when it all comes down to uit, prices quoted on stuff for sale are generally the sellers most optimistic take on what he hopes someone will pay. Anything being sold is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Sadly an awful lot of sellers think that just because THEY want a certain price, a seller HAS to pay it. (heh:)
[/quote]

Well in truth if the seller sticks to that price and the buyer really wants it then the buyer will have to pay for it.

You are thinking about this from a sellers point of view. There is no "has to pay" about it, unless your bass is genuinely a one-of-a-kind and the buyer HAS to have that exact instrument. Not too many deals done like that.

When I bought my 62 Precision it wasn`t the first one I looked at.
B)

Isn't this a little pointless? Call it trade or sale, "value" of anything is where what a buyer is prepared to pay meets what a seller is prepared to accept. There is no ultimate determinant of value other than the market.

Edited by Dan Dare

I always have a slightly higher trade value as I look at a cash price as a slightly discounted valuation.
I always price gear at a price I think is fair to both buyer and seller.

Nobody has to buy. Nobody has to trade. Two fair minded people with a mutual interest should be able to come to a satisfactory compromise.

Just wish I could stop buying, selling and in particular trading. It's becoming a bloody disease thingy :blush: .

I'm with Karlfer on this one. In an ideal situation I guess the values, trade and sale, should be the same. I generally put the trade value a little higher because if I am going to take a px on something, I will likely then have the hassle of selling the item I took in trade. The increased trade value takes account of the risk taken as the item taken in trade may not achieve the expected value on selling on. With cash there is no such risk, unless you were paid in Turkish Lira etc....

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1469718283' post='3100615']
Equally, there is no 'has to buy' about it.
[/quote]

Abslolutely! exactly my point here.
No guns are normally held to heads. :D

And of course the true market value of anything is what a willing buyer is prepared to offer and a willing seller is prepared to accept.
(Sort of paraphrased from my schoolday economics classes!)