Why become a member? ×

Neck finish improvement

martthebass

I've just picked up a nice Musicman SUB USA model, you know, the one with the satin black neck. Over the years the finish on the back of the neck has gone shiny and a bit tacky; it's easily marked with a fingernail and feels like I could scrap the top coat off easily with said fingernail.
What would be the best way to restore the surface? The bass is a player, not a piece of art, but I wouldn't want to butcher it unnecessarily.
Thanks for any comments guys.

Had the same with mine - I sanded the peeling black stuff off and went for an oil & wax finish, same as they use on the Stingrays.

Its easy, quick and cheap. Looks pretty good and feels much nicer to play.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/271642-inept-woodworker-bodges-his-way-to-a-half-decent-result-well-chuffed/unread/

Just sandpaper wrapped round a foam pad really...

Started with something fairly coarse - probably 80 grit or so, and then worked up to 800 or 1200, followed by a going over with 0000 wire wool.

I've got appalling hand eye coordination for this kind of stuff, but it was pretty easy to make a fairly tidy job of it - you can go as steady as you like until you've got your eye in & no need to use anything as coarse as 80 grit if you're not too confident