Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1469627940' post='3099848']
We're The Wirebirds, there is a more recent live audio of it here: [url="https://www.lemonrock.com/thewirebirds?page=mp3s"]https://www.lemonroc...birds?page=mp3s[/url] but I'm not aware of any decent video.
[/quote]

That's good.

Looking at the rest of your material there, no offence meant at all because it sounds good, but I'd be wanting to do more of the obscurer ones like [i]My Dog[/i] and fewer standards - most of the ones there I have played at one time or another.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1469630498' post='3099892']
That's good.

Looking at the rest of your material there, no offence meant at all because it sounds good, but I'd be wanting to do more of the obscurer ones like [i]My Dog[/i] and fewer standards - most of the ones there I have played at one time or another.
[/quote]

Thanks. We'd like to do less common material (though some of it is played in slightly unusual ways) but we have only 2 originals at the moment, and other than My Dog, it's the popular stuff like covers of the Stones' covers of blues classics and Mustang Sally that gets people on their feet and gets us more bookings.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1469622530' post='3099778']
Hey everybody, it's a nice sunny day and as we've been stuck in here for ages, how about we go down to the park! I've got a football and a couple of Frisbees! Later, we could get ice cream!
[/quote]

Best suggestion yet. I'll have a 99, but only if it's a proper original Cadbury's flake :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469613670' post='3099692']

It's the only relevant part.

The whole idea of a cover band is to play tunes that the audience knows.
[/quote]

That's what most people do , but if you played obscure or unliked music , you'd still be a covers band

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469641806' post='3100007']
Best suggestion yet. I'll have a 99, but only if it's a proper original Cadbury's flake :)
[/quote]

No, sadly not. It's a 98 - a sort of cover version of Cadbury's Flake. Very similar - a lot of fun to eat, but some say they have a slightly disappointing aftertaste. They're a bit like the ones you get at weddings, but they're quite a bit cheaper. Not to be confused with a 98.9 which is a tribute to a Cadburys Flake. That comes in very similar packaging to a real one and there's loads more of them than there used to be. Not everyone likes them, but some are better than the original 99's, especially if the original 99's are a bit old and tired. I like them all. I've never worried too much about debating the intricacies of each variety. Maybe I should. But I wont.

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1469578796' post='3099561']
Anyway, why is a cover song called a 'cover'? When one covers* something one is physically placing something over something else
[/quote]

And while we're at it, why do chefs count "covers" instead of bookings???

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469613670' post='3099692']
It's the only relevant part.

The whole idea of a cover band is to play tunes that the audience knows.
[/quote]

Well, now that's controversial. Does that mean the term "band" only applies to groups who are actively gigging or seeking gigs? It also means that while we are a band for most of our set, we are not when we play the obscure ones we chuck in because we like playing them.

Theres audiences like you get in the local boozer, and audiences that will travel to see the obscure. Mod revival covers, Northern Soul covers are all valid and in the right context would go down well.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1469709034' post='3100504']

Well, now that's controversial. Does that mean the term "band" only applies to groups who are actively gigging or seeking gigs? It also means that while we are a band for most of our set, we are not when we play the obscure ones we chuck in because we like playing them.

Theres audiences like you get in the local boozer, and audiences that will travel to see the obscure. Mod revival covers, Northern Soul covers are all valid and in the right context would go down well.
[/quote]

No. Because cover and original only describe the sub type of band. They tell you no more that the musicians generally play music that is either a cover or original. They don't tell you anything about genre, target audience, instrumentation, etc.

They're two very specific and limited definitions.

Imagine you telling someone you've brought a book. They ask you what type is it and you say "Fiction", they reply "Ah, I just bought a book as well, but it is non-fiction."

So as far as the definition goes, it only gives you very limited information.

I think people are trying to make it very complicated.