Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469091784' post='3095602']
Ok. In the UK we have a strong tradition of sing along drinking songs.

From old rugby songs through to wartime Vera Lynne songs, traditional East End of London "Roll out the barrel" Chas and Dave type songs. Often around a badly tuned piano.

This is what the Beatles picked up on. Traditional Irish songs and Sea shanties that were sung in the pubs around the docks in Liverpool.

That's essentially why the UK crowd are always asking you to 'play something we know'. They're not after a song they've heard before, they're after a song they know the words to and can sing along to.

There are a lot of what we call 'musos' on BassChat who like to think they're above that and that their job is to educate the punters and bring in alternative music to the traditional songs.

All very admirable but I think they're somewhat missing the point.
[/quote]

This makes sense and also adds to Beatles historical knowledge.

Thanks

Blue

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1469089894' post='3095587']
Blue, is the "top 40" band still a thing?
[/quote]

We really don't have a top 40 culture anymore. Not like in the 60s when everyone knew what was #1 ##2 on the charts across the nation.

Blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1469089592' post='3095586']
a band that plays songs made famous by someone else.
a tribute band is the same but narrows down to a band, era or genre.

normally in this country, such bands are set up with the intention of playing to make money from functions, weddings or pubs etc.

i don't think it really matters what you call them, covers band, function band, bar band.... who cares?
[/quote]

Me

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469061202' post='3095515']
My definition of a cover band? One that is working and earning.
[/quote]

Nope, people can work and earn money playing their own music too.

Definitive answer is a band that plays other people's songs. Surprised it's even a question!

You could split cover bands into two categories, bar bands and function bands. The latter wear suits, charge 5 times as much and usually stick to weddings, corporate functions etc rather than pubs and festivals.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1469130840' post='3096061']

Nope, people can work and earn money playing their own music too.

Definitive answer is a band that plays other people's songs. Surprised it's even a question!

You could split cover bands into two categories, bar bands and function bands. The latter wear suits, charge 5 times as much and usually stick to weddings, corporate functions etc rather than pubs and festivals.
[/quote]

At the local level it is very tough to make any money in an originals band in the States.

I agree with your cover band break down to functions and bar bands.

My band is a bar band, however there are so many fairs and festivals in Milwaukee we get our share of that business. On average fair and festivals work pays double the bar rate and you usually are only playing for a little over an hour.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469132736' post='3096089']
The function bands are often super tight, really talented, doing it to pay bills and to live, paying tax, ni, costs, agency fees, vans etc rather than taking cash in hand on top of a full time job.
[/quote]

I'm a year into playing for a living. I'm in a bar band. I have a mortgage and bills and I'm making our with no help from anyone.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469142477' post='3096158']

I'm a year into playing for a living. I'm in a bar band. I have a mortgage and bills and I'm making our with no help from anyone.

Blue
[/quote]

Glad it's working out for you Blue. Nice to hear it still can be done full time without needing a day job to top things up. Respect to you.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1469096215' post='3095645']

Not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but why's it a shame? I sooner hear a "original" performance (in which the performer has some emotional investment) than an accurate but lifeless replication of someone else's performance.
[/quote]

Depends on the musician. I have an emotional investment and commitment into anything I play.

Lifeless? Cover bands must be different in the UK.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1469143036' post='3096161']

Glad it's working out for you Blue. Nice to hear it still can be done full time without needing a day job to top things up. Respect to you.
[/quote]

Thanks Miles,

If my band folds. I'm doomed. Finding opportunities with bands with a decent size book of business is next to impossible for outsiders like me.

BTW, I'm taking side work with other bands. My goal is to have 3 sources of income from music ventures.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469091784' post='3095602']
All very admirable but I think they're somewhat missing the point.
[/quote]

Great post but the last sentence also misses a point. Music has many purposes and the one you describe is undoubtedly the most popular but, for some, the process of creativity is the driver and not the roar of the crowd. This is no less legitimate because it is less popular. What is interesting is they way in which 'muso' innovation creeps into the mainstream

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1469169543' post='3096210']

Great post but the last sentence also misses a point. Music has many purposes and the one you describe is undoubtedly the most popular but, for some, the process of creativity is the driver and not the roar of the crowd. This is no less legitimate because it is less popular. What is interesting is they way in which 'muso' innovation creeps into the mainstream
[/quote]

I was talking specificically with respect to cover bands.

Funnily enough last night my local pub had a girl singing with just an acoustic guitar. She was playing loads of the latest tunes. No drum machine or karaoke backing tracks. She was very good.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1469169543' post='3096210'].....for some, the process of creativity is the driver and not the roar of the crowd. This is no less legitimate because it is less popular. [/quote] Yes, and for some it's not, and some find satisfaction in emulating the more or less exact playing/sound of others. Each to their own, and it's not so much a matter of talent, more how one chooses to apply it I think. Someone else's toothbrush might look very nice, but one wouldn't choose to use it !

LD

haven't read the whole thread, but were/are Elvis and Cliff Richard covers artist because they don't write their own material? must be bands about like that too, some of the boy bands seem to do a lot of covers as did the Hollies to start with

My opinion is that if you can earn properly to have a good quality of life (and I don't mean JUST scraping by, I mean earning what a normal career would offer or what you used to do) from music, you are very lucky. I'm glad some of us are able to do that...there is hope!

Says the musician who just spent hours preparing for a DJ set with a friend, filled the room, made everyone have a fun night, and chose to do everything free of charge (apart from the bar handed myself and my friend about £40 worth of drinks over the night).

Music is the biggest part of my life. I have too many hobbies but seeing bands/buying vinyl/hunting down new music/playing guitar/bass and trying to play music and write is everything to me. I do it for free because, well, I come from an underground punk DIY background despite not appearing like I do!

However, if an opportunity arose that allowed me to earn from it and enjoy myself, without giving up 3 nights a week to a guitarist who probably doesn't have such a strict career, then I would take it without thinking!

Glad some of us are living the dream.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1469184295' post='3096378']
haven't read the whole thread, but were/are Elvis and Cliff Richard covers artist because they don't write their own material? must be bands about like that too, some of the boy bands seem to do a lot of covers as did the Hollies to start with
[/quote]

No. They had material that was written specifically for them.

A cover is more specifically a song that was originally recorded (and made famous?) by another artist beforehand. ie the risk and hard work of selling the song and determining whether it will be popular has already be done. All you have to do is copy what they did.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469187145' post='3096428']
No. They had material that was written specifically for them.

A cover is more specifically a song that was originally recorded (and made famous?) by another artist beforehand. ie the risk and hard work of selling the song and determining whether it will be popular has already be done. All you have to do is copy what they did.
[/quote]yeah fair enough, in most cases, but there are exceptions, Blue Suede Shoes springs to my mind and certainly in the early sixties a lot of artists covered American hits before they were released over here, I know I'm being a bit pedantic, because the covers bands we're talking about are where they've no intention of recording them just banking on the fact that the audience will already know and like them, that to me is a covers band

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1469187468' post='3096431']
Normal Blue thread.

Post question with an obvious answer.

Give said answer.

Blue tells you it's wrong and gives his version of an answer.
[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree with this. Why the need to define a cover band in the first place is beyond me. :blink: