Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

I've notice that in the UK or what I've learned from you guy guys is, you seem to take a broad stroke when defining "Cover Band"

It seems like in the UK "Cover Band"means "Mustang Sally" and "Moon Dance". This has always been confusing to me because that's not the case in the US.

How do you personally define cover band?

Blue

Edited by blue

My main band does 80s covers , and sometimes get referred to or call ourselves as an 80s tribute

Essentially we are a covers band that limits the spectrum we play, but the good thing about it is if someone books you , you know they really want what you play

One of my bands is a cover band, but we don't stick religiously to the originals at all - the fun is having plenty of room to explore and communicate between the band members onstage.

Obviously some songs lend themselves more to that than others which we tend to play pretty straight. But certainly don't just stick to predictable pub rock standards.

I've dabbled with things like Bowie's 'Oh You Pretty Things' and Living Colour's 'Type' before now (thankfully not at the same gig tho...)

A cover band plays songs written by someone other than the band members, ie someone else's songs. Simple.

The band may put their own arrangement on the songs but they are still a covers band, in exactly the same way that Lynyrd Skynrd's Call Me The Breeze was a cover of JJ Cale's original and very differently arranged song.

A cover band aiming to play other people's songs exactly as the original artist, and often looking the same as well, is in the Tribute Band sub-genre. Thus the Bootleg Beatles are a tribute band playing covers.

I regard these as simple definitions and don't ascribe any particular ranking to any of them. That's just a matter of personal preference.

A covers band is a musical ensemble that plays popular tunes written by other people.

After that it all gets a bit complicated; a world-class symphony orchestra playing Mozart [i]might[/i] by this narrow definition be considered a covers band. So might three blokes with ukeleles playing 1920's dance-band songs very badly.

Like I said: complicated.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Alternatively, let's [i]not[/i] define cover band. Then we can all carry on falling out about playing covers, playing for free, being pro etc, because we all have different ideas in our heads as to what we are talking about.

Wait... maybe Blue has the right idea after all.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1469044353' post='3095390']
A covers band is a musical ensemble that plays popular tunes written by other people.

After that it all gets a bit complicated; a world-class symphony orchestra playing Mozart [i]might[/i] by this narrow definition be considered a covers band. So might three blokes with ukeleles playing 1920's dance-band songs very badly.

Like I said: complicated.
[/quote]

I don't think so. A world-class symphony orchestra playing Mozart IS most definitely a cover band, or perhaps ensemble might be more appropriate, but it's still a covers ensemble :)

Perhaps we should take a climb back up the taxonomic tree and start at the type of music being played, regardless of the style genre. Thus original or non-original - surely that's a non-contentious starting point?

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469045715' post='3095408']
Thus original or non-original - surely that's a non-contentious starting point?
[/quote]

Some originals bands are alarmingly unoriginal. As is traditional round here let us instead of '[i]originals[/i]' substitute the phrase '[i]self-penned material[/i]'.

;)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1469046421' post='3095416']
Some originals bands are alarmingly unoriginal. As is traditional round here let us instead of '[i]originals[/i]' substitute the phrase '[i]self-penned material[/i]'.

;)
[/quote]

Unless you use a pencil, of course...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1469046421' post='3095416']
Some originals bands are alarmingly unoriginal.
[/quote]

Fair point, though such things are usually for the courts to decide, as per the recent Stairway To Heaven fracas.

There is also the thorny question about blues bands. Indeed can there even BE an original blues song these days when about the only variations possible are the key and what time one woke up in the morning :D

So I'm content to go with 'self penned' as a definition though I reckon original or cover is snappier. :)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1469049013' post='3095446']
I think they are referred to as 'Bar Bands'
[/quote]

Ha ! I misread that as 'Boy Bands' :huh:

My 2p worth: Covers bands mostly perform versions of popular songs that aren't written by the band, in pop/rock genres. It's one of those self-evident things in life: we don't need anyone to tell us some things, but we know when we see it !

LD

My definition of a cover band? One that is working and earning.

The general rule for our cover band is that any song we play has to have been a top 30 hit.

We aim to play songs which the audience knows, likes a lot, can dance to, will sing with us and isn't played by every other cover band.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1469044736' post='3095393']
Covers bands play music that the people in the band hate but the punters love.
Originals bands play music that the people in the band love but the punters hate.

:D
[/quote]

Both of your definitions are a bit narrow in nature IMO, but I get where your coming from.

Personally, I can't speak for Originals bands, but we love the songs we play and hopefully our faithful punters do to.

Here in the States in the Midwest we have what we call "Bar Bands" and I think that's a more appropriate category for us. Venues that book traditional cover bands won't touch us.

We have just added
[i]"Rain" [/i]from Buddy Guy (features Jenny on slide) , [i]"The Weight"[/i] from The Band and our version of Nancy Sinatra's [i]"Boots Are Made for Walking"[/i].

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469061202' post='3095515']
My definition of a cover band? One that is working and earning.

The general rule for our cover band is that any song we play has to have been a top 30 hit.

We aim to play songs which the audience knows, likes a lot, can dance to, will sing with us and isn't played by every other cover band.
[/quote]

Can't debate this one. I like this definition.

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1469046978' post='3095424']
So what do they call bands in the US that predominantly cover other peoples music then Blue?
[/quote]

I think there like anything else, we have different types of cover bands. Your definition would fit the traditional cover band.

Blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1469044773' post='3095394']
Alternatively, let's [i]not[/i] define cover band. Then we can all carry on falling out about playing covers, playing for free, being pro etc, because we all have different ideas in our heads as to what we are talking about.

Wait... maybe Blue has the right idea after all.
[/quote]

Not sure if I have the right idea or not.

However, I didn't start playing or taking notes on the evolution of local and regional pop bands in the 90s, I started in the mid 60s. And my perspective is quite Yankeeish.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1469042793' post='3095368']
A band that plays cover songs only!
Of course you can turn the song on it's head, but it's still just a cover.
[/quote]

"Just a cover"

So we can also say, "just an original" ?

Blue

A "Cover Band" is a band that plays versions of an original artists recording. These bands tend to run the whole spectrum in terms of talent,skill, musical ability and creativity.

More times than not these bands are commercial ventures.

Blue

Edited by blue