Why become a member? ×

Hartke Kilo - Input stage working 90% of the time?!

Astoroth

Hi,

My Hartke Kilo appears to have a bit of a problem which I'm struggling to figure out.

Sometimes it starts up fine and works as normal, other times it starts up, you hear the clicks inside usually meaning you're ready to go but then the input stage stops working. I can plug in the EFX return and hear my bass, back to the front input.

Turn it off, thud! so that's the output stage working OK! :) leave it a random amount of time, turn back on...nothing, repeat, all starts working and then works for hours and hours...next day, it all starts happening again.

Any ideas?

All the best,

Rich

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1469055316' post='3095496']
Try running a cable between the send and return sockets.

Those sockets are switched and are a weak point in many amps.
[/quote]

The Kilo has multiple loops - so it's worth checking them all. From what you are saying Astoroth, it might not be the preamp out/power amp in sockets.

Then after that, (if the jumper doesn't fix) have someone (if you're not happy with lifting the lid) check all PCB jumper cables. (remove and reseat).
Next up, replace the valves. You needn't go mad on buying the best of the best, but some good quality valves from the likes of Watford Valves will probably improve the sound of the amp too.

Edited by dood

Any warranty left?

If I follow correctly then the power amp seems to be ok because you connect the bass to the FX return and all seems fine - even when the fault is present.

So if the pre amp is cutting out then that could be:

dodgy FX connectors or other external loop connectors like pre amp out etc OR flaky internal cable connections - both of these faults usually respond to a little tapping so you should give each connector a little tap say with a wooden spoon tip.

If you are able to venture inside safely it could be valve that is not well seated in its base - would also respond to tapping externally in all likelihood.

One thing additional is that the clicks you mentioned: is this tiny clicks that you hear from valves as they warm up or is it relay clicks (assuming you know what I am getting at). If the latter then, it could be an internal fault around the amps power supply delivering inconsistent voltage usually due to bad connections, joints etc.

Mike

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, I took the lid off today and gave everything a wiggle (so to speak), made sure the valves were seated and it appears to have cured it (tough wood). I tested it throughout the day turning it on and off, leaving it on for an hour or so etc etc and so far so good.

I am though interested in maybe changing the valves as Dood suggested, I don't use the overdrive that much on the amp cause I think it's pretty poor so maybe some new valves might beef that up.

Thanks!

[quote name='Astoroth' timestamp='1469142909' post='3096160']
Hi All,

{snip}

I am though interested in maybe changing the valves as Dood suggested, I don't use the overdrive that much on the amp cause I think it's pretty poor so maybe some new valves might beef that up.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I haven't ever used the drive section on the Kilo. I've never been able to get it to do what I would like.

• 8 months later...

Almost a year later only the left channel is working now....sometimes the right channel comes on but as soon as a signal goes through you can hear the relay click and its gone.

Anybody got any ideas? or know of a decent place to send it to be fixed? I've used Korg UK the last two times for repairs but both my kilos are out of warranty now so I can go anywhere :)