Why become a member? ×

Mesa Boogie Prodigy 115-230V conversion

Twisted Blues

[size=5]Hi Can anyone help me, I just bought a MESA Boogie Prodigy from a guy in the US and realised that it's 115V version and in its present state it doesn't like 230v. I cant find any scematics or info in the manual or on line about whether the transformer has a 230v winding. Before I take it to bits can anyone tell me whether it can be made to operate on 230V. If not what are my options other than lugging around another heavy transformer. [/size]
[size=5]Thanks[/size]
[size=5]Andy[/size]

I've just had a look inside my Prodigy and the mains transformer is most definitely 220/230/240 only. There is no primary connection for 100/120 so it looks like they have different transformers for different markets. It would also explain why the European version took much longer to appear.

Looking at the tightness and complexity of the wiring from the transformer I would not want to attempt to change the transformer. I think a step-down transformer is the best solution.

Transformer input connections

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1469091544' post='3095599']
I've just had a look inside my Prodigy and the mains transformer is most definitely 220/230/240 only. There is no primary connection for 100/120 so it looks like they have different transformers for different markets.
[/quote]I can't tell from the picture, but in any event there would be no primary connection for 110 versus 220. There would be dual sets of input wires to the transformer, allowing it to be wired like so:

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1469102613' post='3095740']
I can't tell from the picture, but in any event there would be no primary connection for 110 versus 220. There would be dual sets of input wires to the transformer, allowing it to be wired like so:

[/quote]

It's definitely not wired like this Bill. The blue going into the connection block is Neutral and the thre,e brown/white, brown/red and brown, wires at the other end of the block are 220, 230 and 240 respectively. The black wire comes from the input fuse and is connected to the 240-volt terminal.

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_Mains_transformers_Mains_Transf_for_Mesa_Boogie/power_transformer_for_Mesa_Boogie_Bass_Prodigy_Four_KT88_4634

There are a few bits you have to change below this like the Suppression Cap too.

Agree about Westside pretty much useless for gray imports.

We had this a whike ago (cant remeber the exact model but it was Mesa) the uk version actually had windings for 110v but the us version they had purchased and paid shipping/duty on etc to save a few quid didn't have 230v windings.

The scam at the time was to buy one from the States then another EU version from a shop online then send them back the US version!

Thanks for all the advice and help I checked and the transformer is 115v only. I bought a 300W step down transformer and that's done the trick, just another heavy lump to lug to gigs in the name of all valve authenticityt!! Pretty miffed with the seller though, not my best introduction to owning a MESA. The story is not yet over though. Amp powered up and going through all the EQ and power options i discover that th1/2 power function produces a noisy overdriven distorted sound. I switch back to full power and its fine? Any ideas??
Cheers
Andy

I would remove and reseat all the valves as a first step.

If no change then it is probably one of the power valves that is dodgy. Ideally you need to get to look at it with an oscilloscope.

[quote name='Twisted Blues' timestamp='1469179483' post='3096317']
Thanks for all the advice and help I checked and the transformer is 115v only. I bought a 300W step down transformer and that's done the trick, just another heavy lump to lug to gigs in the name of all valve authenticityt!! Pretty miffed with the seller though, not my best introduction to owning a MESA. The story is not yet over though. Amp powered up and going through all the EQ and power options i discover that th1/2 power function produces a noisy overdriven distorted sound. I switch back to full power and its fine? Any ideas??
Cheers
Andy
[/quote]

This is unlikely to be the cause of your distortion, but a 300 watt stepdown transformer is cutting it extremely fine with a nominally 250 watt valve amp. Valve amps are relatively inefficient and use a lot more power than they put out to the speakers. I'd be inclined to look for something like a 1000W stepdown transformer if you're depending on it for gigging.

Edited by Beer of the Bass