Why become a member? ×

The ol' how many frets debate?

spiltmilk_2000

So I'm getting a custom build specced and trying to decide on the number of frets to go for. The question is this... Is there any benefit to having 24 frets other than the extended range? It's unlikely I'll play that high although guess for jazz soloing purposes it's a bonus but I'm wondering if the longer fretboard extending further into the body offers any tonal difference or improved stability etc?

The bass is going to be a pj style super jazz with ostentatious fancy woods (because I'm worth it!) so I don't think 24 frets will look peculiar... Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Personally I think 24 frets makes more sense, giving you a full two octaves.

Having said that I'm currently mainly playing a 20 fret jazz at the moment with no major issues, although I do find I miss the 21st fret more than I thought I would. I do more little runs and fills up the dusty end using that E than I realised.

Edit: There no point in comparing tonal variations between my 24 fret and 20 fret basses because one of them is a carbon graphite neck through active headless Status the other is a bolt on passive Jazz - there's a lot more differences going on between them than the number of frets.

Edited by Cato

This is such a personal preference type thing. I have had this chat with a few buds. I do prefer the 24 frets, though I never go beyond the 20th. I just like the extended feel it gives but, I recently got a 21 fret bass and it is just great. I don't change basses live so if I am taking one or the other out with me, there won't be any adjustment to make.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1469117372' post='3095926']
20 frets is fine, but occasionally I'd like to have that extra 'E' at the top. Very, very occasionally.
[/quote]

If you play [i]avant garde[/i] music, you can just fart at the appropriate point. Or jazz.

Totally personal preference. Bear in mind the fret positions all over the neck vary slightly (if same scale length) depending on the number of frets.

I don't play anything with less than 24, for the only reason that it is most comfortable for me. I find it odd playing on the 12th fret so far down the neck on 20 fret types etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469117525' post='3095930']
If you play [i]avant garde[/i] music, you can just fart at the appropriate point. Or jazz.
[/quote]

Fart a top E? Blimey, that's some control, that is...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1469122507' post='3095983']
Fart a top E? Blimey, that's some control, that is...
[/quote]

Nah, if it's avant garde - or jazz - it can be ANY old note. :D
Or no note at all.
Or a John Cage fart, i.e. silent but deadly. Lasting 4'33". Now that [i]would [/i]take some doing.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469121659' post='3095979']
Totally personal preference. Bear in mind the fret positions all over the neck vary slightly (if same scale length) depending on the number of frets.

I don't play anything with less than 24, for the only reason that it is most comfortable for me. I find it odd playing on the 12th fret so far down the neck on 20 fret types etc.
[/quote]

Good point. Also there's the impact on the body - more frets typically means deeper cutaway.

I don't find a lot of use for the octave E on the G string. If I'm up at that end of the neck I'll generally be doing something that involves playing a tune on the G string while keeping a drone going on the D. Therefore octave D (19th fret) is important to me. If I'm going any higher I'll be wanting 24 to get another G.

However more frets means that the heal is moved further away from the 15th fret so it is actually possible to get to the 19th fret much more easily.