Why become a member? ×

Hello, says another noob from across the pond...

azfatboy

I picked up a bass guitar for the first time a couple months ago (and shortly thereafter purchased my first, the Gretsch G2220 Electromatic). The only other stringed instrument I've ever owned is a cheap and ultimately demoralizing Yamaha acoustic guitar. I'm still in my 40s, but I am a granddad, so I sure *feel* old to be just discovering the bass!

I will admit that my primary epiphany to pick up the bass was Mike Kerr of Royal Blood, and that gargantuan sound he makes (hence the Gretsch). But in hindsight, what he mostly did was provide the impetus to look at bass playing in a new light, and realize that the bass guitar was what I've been looking for the whole time.

Of course, as is typical for me, when inspiration hits, I go from 0 to 60 in about 3 nanoseconds. So within my first 2 months, I have 2 bass guitars (I recently added a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-4), 3 amps (maybe 4 by this weekend), and a pedalboard filled with pedals... And yes, I set up a split-chain pedalboard, going to both to a bass amp and a guitar amp. Right now, it's more of a distraction than practice, but it sure is a lot of fun!

I have a friend who is a very decent self-taught bassist/guitarist, and he tries, but let's just say that mentoring is not his strong suit. So I'm mostly using online lessons, YouTube, and RockSmith 2014 to teach myself.

I decided to join basschat because I really like the vibe here. I don't have a lot of historical knowledge or experience, so I will mostly serve as a knowledge-sucker and the noob who is good for the occasional laugh when he says something stupid. Thanks for letting me join!

[quote name='azfatboy' timestamp='1469132978' post='3096093']
...viewable as my profile pic. :)
[/quote]

Good man!

I never got fond of that style of riding (sit up and beg, that is) but had 25 years of all weather motorcycling before I eventually got a car. My last machine was a 1995 Triumph Tiger. Big and flexible it was. Like yourself I suppose, I got to represent the national flag with it. That gave me a HUGE buzz after Triumph started selling again bigtime. Made working for their R&D worth the trouble.

I LOVE that Norton are again developing motorcycles. Glad the rotaries are no longer being foisted on loyal customers.

Again, welcome and may you always ride between the ditches.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1469171351' post='3096234']
I never got fond of that style of riding (sit up and beg, that is) but had 25 years of all weather motorcycling before I eventually got a car.
[/quote]

That's funny. Cause I call it the "Hey, I just rode 1000 miles in a day and I can still feel my arms and shoulders!" style of riding. :)

And when my wife is on the back, and I am nestled into that juicy pillow, I almost feel like I'm riding down the road in a lazyboy instead of a fatboy! Yessir, you can keep your shoulder-torture device--I am very happy on my Harley...

Having said that, Triumph makes some nice stuff.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1469186813' post='3096418']
i tried a harley fatboy but it wasnt right for me. Too big, too heavy

Welcome sir, you'll find its a bit friendler around here than it is on Talk Bass
[/quote]

Well, it is a full-size bike. But the center of gravity is so low that I find it much easier to handle than most other bikes, even most Sportsters, whose higher COG make them much more unwieldy despite being hundreds of pounds lighter. Also, the confidence inherent in that heft, that sound, that look, that torque--well, it makes all the difference going down the road. To each his own, I s'pose!

Thanks for the kind welcoming words, all!!!

Well, I am enjoying it, maybe a little too much! I haven't yet hit 3 months since first picking up a bass, and I just purchased my third AND fourth basses today! I just bought a Schecter Blackjack ATX C-5 in 3-tone satin sunburst ***AND*** an Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric in black.

I think my wife is gonna kill me--and I deserve it!!!! :gas:

Edited by azfatboy