Why become a member? ×

Different EQ for flats and rounds?

bassbiscuits

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469266824' post='3097022']
Take the flats to a rehearsal and ask the band what they think of the difference.

Maybe your band just need the dynamics of rounds.
[/quote]

I did on Thursday and they said they loved both sounds doh! Suppose that keeps it simple. That Jack Casady bass in the vid has TI flats on it already

Edited by bassbiscuits

If the band loved the sound of both your basses then you need to sort out why you are hearing something different. Maybe your expectations are unrealistic or you just don't like that bass with flats. Maybe you've put the flats on the wrong bass. They don't work on every bass.

Flats sound great on my P bass but I've never tried them on the Lakland, and probably never will. The rounds sound just right on that bass.

I bought an ESP (cheaply) off the Bay a few years ago. It had flats on it, and I've hated it all this time and seldom played it until this week I changed them to rounds. Now I love it.
We all go through many phases and fads, sometimes we settle with something, sometimes we keep searching for the right combination.
I've played fretless with my band a number of times, and my ears wince at my poor intonation. My band say they can't hear any difference. I guess they are too busy doing their own thing!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469270143' post='3097049']
If the band loved the sound of both your basses then you need to sort out why you are hearing something different
[/quote]

IME non-bass players do not have such a discriminate ear and tend only to listen to themselves. Often I've asked a band about a new bass, amp, cab, effect and so on, only to be greeted with, 'hunh?' They're not interested.

Edited by discreet

I have to admit....i bottled it and put nickel round wounds back on my bass for this weekend's festival gig, and it sounded lovely thru the supplied Orange/Ampeg set up.

I'll keep the flats for recording, which i'll be doing shortly with the very same band.

Horses for courses and all that kettle of fish...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469276128' post='3097116']
IME non-bass players do not have such a discriminate ear and tend only to listen to themselves. Often I've asked a band about a new bass, amp, cab, effect and so on, only to be greeted with, 'hunh?' They're not interested.
[/quote]

I talk to the guys in all my bands about the sound, feel and balance of the band, and everything else.

I'd be very disappointed if I was in a band that didn't have a considered opinion about all of that or didn't know or care what I sounded like.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1469435402' post='3098171']
I have to admit....i bottled it and put nickel round wounds back on my bass for this weekend's festival gig, and it sounded lovely thru the supplied Orange/Ampeg set up.
[/quote]

Good move.

Try your current strings with some foam under them when you're next recording. That might deaden them to the right point that you don't need flats at all.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469438024' post='3098197']
Good move.

Try your current strings with some foam under them when you're next recording. That might deaden them to the right point that you don't need flats at all.
[/quote]

Good call - I'll venture down that route and see how it pans out. Still got my Jack Casady with flats on too.

I've got an ongoing shoulder injury, so the old precision with nickels on is about the lightest weight all round bass i've got at the moment (3.8kg) so I might as well keep it as versatile as poss for the foreseeable future.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I did a load of recording this weekend using my old 1970 P with Labella flats on it.
Suddenly it all makes sense.

Last time I recorded with this same band I ended up using a jazz bass with round wounds on a tune because it sounded nice and clear at the time. But listening back to the end result, it wasn't the sound I'd have chosen at all.

This time, with the P and flats, it sounded great. Fat and smooth and really distinct in the mix. I already knew that's how flats perform, but ive ever really captured it properly, or really 'got them' as a result.

But man, I'm converted.

For recording, I can't think of a better version of my sound to commit to tape. Just a bit gutted that first song doesn't have my flatwound sound on it now. Bummer!

• 6 years later...