Why become a member? ×

I want this sound

Funky Dunky

https://youtu.be/yKg_3kyIhHc

(With apologies to Horizontalste for "borrowing" his concept)

Vulfpeck's Joe Dart - love the guy but info on him is slightly thin on the ground. His bass tone on this track is wicked, I love it. I don't know what he uses other than Fender P and J basses, but some digging has led me to learn that this track features a cheap MM copy! So the question is....settings. How is it so beefy and tight sounding? Ton of compression? Any help would be appreciated guys, cheers.

I also chased that sound down and found the answer in a Sandberg Basic (single sweet spot MM pickup, slight treble cut, slight bass boost, big mid boost... but actually sounds fine in passive mode too) with TI Flats (which I believe were also used on the track) into an Orange Terror Bass!

The OTB has just the right amount of wool/compression/dirt to make that bassline bounce.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1469195298' post='3096521']
I know a lot of the tightness is down to his fantastic muting and control, but it sounds really fat and punchy too!
[/quote]
Yes it's very nice.
Like a few other post's before have suggested. you could use the same guitar strings and amp and sound totally different.
Imo it's the feel, groove, technique and great timing he has that make him sound like that. I played along a bit with my Stingray and it sounded fairly close but he left me behind with his skills :)

sounds like it's quite compressed, but also it sounds like most of the high and (very) low end have been cut out so it's mostly just mids

EDIT: You can hear a fair bit of dirt on their too. I love this band!!!

Edited by cheddatom

I think this is the info you're looking for:

[quote name='Youtube comment']
[color=#000000][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Bassist is Joe Dart. This song was mixed by Jack Stratton, the guy with the tucked in shirt who yells during the breakdown. He's sort of a recording expert and the leader of the band, and he designed a program called the Vulf Compressor along with a company called goodhertz. They use it on a lot of their songs and it can get some crazy funky tones.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

https://goodhertz.co/vulf-comp

Edited by Grangur

Nice! The bass style reminds me of Steve Amazing of Upp.

Check out Friendly Street at 7.11 - [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDbKtiy8YSs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=IDbKtiy8YSs[/url] - one of those intros like Car Wash that has you sure you know where 'one' is, and then...

Album produced and guitared by Jeff Beck.

Edited by lowland

[quote name='lowland' timestamp='1469196986' post='3096546']
Nice! The bass style reminds me of Steve Amazing of Upp.

Check out Friendly Street at 7.11 - [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDbKtiy8YSs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=IDbKtiy8YSs[/url] - one of those intros like Car Wash that has you sure you know where 'one' is, and then...

Album produced and guitared by Jeff Beck.
[/quote]
Sorry if I take this off topic, but had to go check Upp out.. found this live clip, seems the bassist was doing the chucking (maybe there is a pick , but it sounds great?) thing even before Bernard Edwards :) You can see it around 2:10 mark. Shame Beck destroys the groove for me lol.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzDqqxKnW3o[/media]

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1469196035' post='3096531']
I also chased that sound down and found the answer in a Sandberg Basic (single sweet spot MM pickup, slight treble cut, slight bass boost, big mid boost... but actually sounds fine in passive mode too) with TI Flats (which I believe were also used on the track) into an Orange Terror Bass!

The OTB has just the right amount of wool/compression/dirt to make that bassline bounce.
[/quote]

Flats!! D'oh! Of course it is! *facepalm*

Could I get close by firing a piece of foam under the bridge? Hmmm.....

Thanks for all of this, it will help immensely. What does one mean by the right amount of wool? Makes me think of a muffled sound.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1469199745' post='3096609']
Sorry if I take this off topic, but had to go check Upp out.. found this live clip, seems the bassist was doing the chucking (maybe there is a pick , but it sounds great?) thing even before Bernard Edwards :) You can see it around 2:10 mark. Shame Beck destroys the groove for me lol.
[/quote]

Equally OT, I was lucky enough to see Upp at Ipswich Civic College not long after the first album came out. Suffice it to say they turned a smallish crowd who didn't know who they were into a bunch of dancin' fools in short order. Neither on the recordings nor video clips are you getting the full flavour of what a monster player Mr Amazing (sadly passed on) was - I had never seen bass played like that before, and not often since.

Nice clip. However I'm thanking my lucky stars I came into playing bass around 1966 and influence by the great bass players of my generation.

If you want a similar sound practice, practice practice is how you get there. It doesn't matter what amp or bass you use.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469210666' post='3096745']
Nice clip. However I'm thanking my lucky stars I came into playing bass around 1966 and influence by the great bass players of my generation.

If you want a similar sound practice, practice practice is how you get there. It doesn't matter what amp or bass you use.

Blue
[/quote]

If all you own is a Hofner Violin bass and a vox amp , you'll never sound like Chris Squire. Gear is extremely important to tone. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1469211928' post='3096758']

If all you own is a Hofner Violin bass and a vox amp , you'll never sound like Chris Squire. Gear is extremely important to tone. To suggest otherwise is absurd.
[/quote]

Amen, brother.

CONTROL is all in the fingers. The fingers are definitely integral, I ain't disputing that - they create certain nuances that undoubtedly shape the end result. But the old adage that "tone is all in the fingers" has always seemed crazy to me.

[/quote]

Put a pair of rounds on the Hofner,tweak the Vox amp and give it to Chris (RIP) and it will sound like Chris.

I'm maintaining my position.

Blue

[quote name='lowland' timestamp='1469208082' post='3096712']

Equally OT, I was lucky enough to see Upp at Ipswich Civic College not long after the first album came out. Suffice it to say they turned a smallish crowd who didn't know who they were into a bunch of dancin' fools in short order. Neither on the recordings nor video clips are you getting the full flavour of what a monster player Mr Amazing (sadly passed on) was - I had never seen bass played like that before, and not often since.
[/quote]

Now this is great stuff. But hey, it's 1974. I wouldn't expect anything less.

The good old days.

Blue

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1469217932' post='3096815']

Amen, brother.

CONTROL is all in the fingers. The fingers are definitely integral, I ain't disputing that - they create certain nuances that undoubtedly shape the end result. But the old adage that "tone is all in the fingers" has always seemed crazy to me.
[/quote]

Create is the key word here.

It takes a long time and hard work to realize your creating a sound based on your touch finger movements and dexterity. To the point when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel and say;

"If I can master this,my touch my technique, I'll have something I own".Most of us never get there.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469218305' post='3096820']

Put a pair of rounds on the Hofner,tweak the Vox amp and give it to Chris (RIP) and it will sound like Chris.

I'm maintaining my position.

Blue
[/quote]

Just the two strings? 😉

The result would sound like CS playing a Hofner through a Vox amp. His style would most likely be apparent, but his signature tone?
Of course, two different players using the same gear will have differences in sound, but the core sound will be that of that particular bass through that particular amp. The whole 'tone is in the fingers' argument is so vague it becomes open to wild misinterpretation.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1469199745' post='3096609']

[/quote]

He played with a pick IIRC - he was very good as well. I saw them live in my formative years and was astonished how many sixths and sevenths he played in his lines - as light bulb for me as watching Colin Hodgkinson playing slid 7th chords with Back Door, or Alan Spenner playing 10ths with Kokomo.

Not sure, Blue how you heard bass parts in 1966 - here in the UK very few people had stereo systems and most kids would hear tinny sounding pop music with very poor bass reproduction through transistor radios or Dansette record players. Maybe you had better recordings in the US at the time - we had to wait till the later 60s before getting decent bass sounds on records by bands such as Cream, Ten Years After etc and more widespread stereo availability (both records and sound equipment). 16 track recording also helped.

Joe Dart is excellent - can be seen demoing Musicman basses on the EBMM site to good effect also.

Edited by drTStingray

[/quote]

Indeed! I've been jamming that tune a long time and have a few very different basses at my disposal, the Sandberg is the only one that can cop that midrange honk. I'd also recommend looking at the Stingray Classic or SBMM Ray34CA.

I had 7 different types of basses at one point and still sounded like me on all of them.
I still like to mix and match my basses, I do get a different tone and vibe form each bass, but it still sound like me at the end of the day.

I think trying to cop Joe Dart's sound is more about trying to mimicking his style and feel rather than using exactly the same gear. If you are good enough to do that you'll be close on any bass :)