Why become a member? ×

In praise of ACS pro plugs

leroydiamond

Just back from the Audiologist and after a thorough examination, he tells me that my ACS pro earplugs are doing a terrific job of protecting my hearing (or whats left of it). Cannot say enough about this product.
They provide a very flat response, It is just as if the volume of the band is turned right the hell down. I hear everything really well without my ears taking a bashing. The tone of my rig is crystal clear, which is really important to me.
These babies are an exact match for my ear canal so I know I have the best protection available and i can still enjoy performing. The best, and most valuable bit of kit I have ever purchased. Highly recommended, indeed a must have IMO

Hear hear (you see what I did there?) ACS are indeed most excellent and I wouldn't leave home without mine. Not cheap but more than worth the money if it protects the most valuable sense a musician has.

I have a pair in a pouch on my belt at all times at work in case someone with a rattle gun comes along, or a PA / backline / a drumkit gets tested right where I'm working at the time, perfect!
I've lost a couple of pairs over the years and I've gone out and replaced them instantly without any hesitation, in fact I'm pretty convinced that someone stole one pair. I assume they would only want the filters and not the moulds...
I've got -25s for work and -15s for quieter gigs and when i'm playing myself!
I can't recommend them enough.

I've just retired my ER15's (The ER bit in the ACS model name is the company Etymotic Research who make the filters. Also known as Elacin or Hearos)

They've been brilliant for years but I've just received some brand new 64 Audio ADEL technology earplugs. Very excited about them as they go a few steps further to saving hearing on top of the already superb volume control of filtered plugs.

I can't bang on enough how important decent ear plugs are - and when you 'go moulded' you'll never go back!

I'm just waiting for my new 64 Audio ADEL A8 IEMs to appear soon too!

I have the 17s and they are absolutely the best piece of gear I've ever bought.

I think they do change the sound very slightly (it's not just like turning the volume down) but it's very easy to get used to.

If you don't have some then go out and get some.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1469231042' post='3096911']
I think they do change the sound very slightly (it's not just like turning the volume down) but it's very easy to get used to.

[/quote]

Sure, they change the sound a little. But relative to the cheap and cheerful, foam, 'christmas tree' and other generic alternatives, they are pure Hi Fi

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1469229756' post='3096904']
I've just retired my ER15's (The ER bit in the ACS model name is the company Etymotic Research who make the filters. Also known as Elacin or Hearos)

They've been brilliant for years but I've just received some brand new 64 Audio ADEL technology earplugs. Very excited about them as they go a few steps further to saving hearing on top of the already superb volume control of filtered plugs.

I can't bang on enough how important decent ear plugs are - and when you 'go moulded' you'll never go back!

I'm just waiting for my new 64 Audio ADEL A8 IEMs to appear soon too!
[/quote]

These sound really interesting. Where did you get your moulds done, and at what price?

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1469231042' post='3096911']
[/quote]

+1

Any ear plugs will change the sound you hear. Some make a significant and uncontrolled difference, like foam, but ACS plugs will do a great job of giving you the best balance at reduced volume.

Alternatively you don't have to wear plugs at all. If hearing your glorious bass sound at more than 130 dB all night is what you want then you can deal with your hearing changing dramatically, permanently and with very bad results.

Hearing aids are more expensive than plugs and significantly damaged hearing is socially isolating.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1469257586' post='3096945']

These sound really interesting. Where did you get your moulds done, and at what price?
[/quote]

Well I have EBS_Freak and TonyF to thank for pointing me towards the rather awesome Custom IEM Company!

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk

They took care of the whole ordering process as well as being able to actually audition all of the top trusted brands. Prices have changed a bit since I got my moulds done but the great news is that my ear profiles are held digitally on file now so if I want to upgrade (which I have done) then no need to go back a second time, unless I want to of course :)

Ear Plugs tend to be around the 140-180 mark I believe depending on where you go - but I truly believe if you get a good set they are worth every penny. I use mine all the time - hmm maybe they'll even work with 'the wife' lol!!

The A8 in-ears I can't wait to try!

I'm another happy ACS customer. I live less than an hour from Banbury, so was able to visit them and discuss my needs. I wouldn't consider playing with a band, listening to live music or riding my bike without them.

I've posted on this before and this is just my experience, I've got the pro 10's and I've found they really do cut the treble out too much. If I wear them both I feel really isolated and don't enjoy the gig, so as a compromise I just wear one in my left ear which, being a lefty, is always next to the drummer, I use a 'christmas tree' one in the other ear which I adjust in and out of my ear depending how loud we are, having said that my hearing is already damaged (big drop off around the 4 -6 k hz mark) which is why it's just my opinion

• 2 months later...

I've just ordered a set of the Pro 17's. Appointment for impressions at Boots on Thu morning.
ACS state the 17's are more suited to amplified music and have a flatter overall db cut but note that some of you guys have been using the 10's or 15's which show on their graphs as cutting more of the high end along with the overall reduction.
Have i ordered the wrong thing ?

At £139 i want to make sure i've bought the right filter.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1476796905' post='3157311']
I've just ordered a set of the Pro 17's. Appointment for impressions at Boots on Thu morning.
ACS state the 17's are more suited to amplified music and have a flatter overall db cut but note that some of you guys have been using the 10's or 15's which show on their graphs as cutting more of the high end along with the overall reduction.
Have i ordered the wrong thing ?

At £139 i want to make sure i've bought the right filter.

Dave
[/quote]

I've never had an issue with the 17's. Everything still sounds nice to my ears, just a bit quiter and doesn't make my tinnitus any worse.

I'm trying to convince a drummer friend and Vox of ACS, but they say they don't like the sound even though they now know there is no option to wearing them.
I say you'll adjust and get used to them...but you need to keep trying them.

I hope the message is getting thru...

I've had mine for a couple of years after using generic plugs for many years. I have the 17db ones and they are fine however sometimes on some stages the volume is so loud that even these are not sufficient. If you havent used them before it does take a while to get used to them especially if you play music that has loud and quiet parts. I generally don't use them at soundcheck so that I know what the sound level is on stage then once everything is sorted I then put them on for the gig and that way I know the stage volume isn't horrendously loud. If it is too loud you may still get hearing damage even with plugs in :-)

The other thing I would advise is when you have the mould done go for an open mouth one. I say this because the first set I had made were fine until I opened my mouth to talk on the mic or smile on stage then sound would leak in past the sides of the plugs. I contacted ACS and they said I needed to get an open mouth mould done. I did and it's nice snug and no sound leaking round the sides. In practice the wedge your gob with some cotton pads between your back teeth so that your mouth is open and you dribble all down your shirt whilst the gel sets in your ear but it is worth it.

Edited by jazzyvee

I use the Christmas tree ones. Have made an appointment with Boots having read this thread but now wondering if I really need to shell out £100+
We rehearse once a week and gig about twice a month in pubs. If I can cope with what I can hear using the Christmas tree plugs, is it necessary to upgrade?

I have previously used the xmas tree ones and whilst they do cut down a lot of volume I haven't found them to be as even toned as the custom ones. I always have a spare set of those ones in my bass case just in case I'm on a gig that isn't too loud and those you can push in to suit the stage volume which is something you can't do with the custom moulded ones. I also use them when I'm out listening to bands.

Got Pro17s and they're fantastic, as above a slight change in sound, but certainly the flattest I've used.

One of the best things about them is using them at gigs I'm watching rather than playing - now I'm using hearig protection at gigs, bands have never sounded so good.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1469269918' post='3097048']
Well I have EBS_Freak and TonyF to thank for pointing me towards the rather awesome Custom IEM Company!

[url="http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk"]http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk[/url]

They took care of the whole ordering process as well as being able to actually audition all of the top trusted brands. Prices have changed a bit since I got my moulds done but the great news is that my ear profiles are held digitally on file now so if I want to upgrade (which I have done) then no need to go back a second time, unless I want to of course :)

Ear Plugs tend to be around the 140-180 mark I believe depending on where you go - but I truly believe if you get a good set they are worth every penny. I use mine all the time - hmm maybe they'll even work with 'the wife' lol!!

The A8 in-ears I can't wait to try!
[/quote]I've looked on a few different sites and they seem range in price from about £490 up to nearly £2,000, is that right!

[quote name='Cestrian' timestamp='1476798837' post='3157329']
I use the Christmas tree ones. Have made an appointment with Boots having read this thread but now wondering if I really need to shell out £100+
We rehearse once a week and gig about twice a month in pubs. If I can cope with what I can hear using the Christmas tree plugs, is it necessary to upgrade?
[/quote]

Get proper ones. You cannot get new ears. I am talking from bitter experience.