Why become a member? ×

In praise of ACS pro plugs

leroydiamond

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1476801468' post='3157360']

Get proper ones. You cannot get new ears. I am talking from bitter experience.
[/quote]

I use the boots foam ones, they provide a 30db cut I believe. That's pretty good as I understand it? I could of course be horribly wrong!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476801413' post='3157359']
I've looked on a few different sites and they seem range in price from about £490 up to nearly £2,000, is that right!
[/quote]

Custom In-Ear Monitors (Posh earphones lol)will probably be more like that price, but Ear Plugs (Passive audio level attenuation) noooo, more like £150. Two different devices altogether :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1476802195' post='3157369']
I lost one of my ER15 filters on Friday - I don't suppose you'd like to sell one?
[/quote]

I would, but I think in terms of health, probably not wise! They've seen lots of use in my lugoles!

I don't use these but only because when I got my UE in ears I got a pair of their moulded plugs at a discount as part of the deal. Also can 't praise those enough. Suspect, though, that if those plugs went missing I'd be straight down the ear plug shop for a set of ACS Pros.

[quote name='Cestrian' timestamp='1476798837' post='3157329']
I use the Christmas tree ones. Have made an appointment with Boots having read this thread but now wondering if I really need to shell out £100+
We rehearse once a week and gig about twice a month in pubs. If I can cope with what I can hear using the Christmas tree plugs, is it necessary to upgrade?
[/quote]

I never liked the xmas tree ones but I'd say the sooner you start wearing plugs the better...and £100 plus is no money at all for what it saves.IMO.

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1476820327' post='3157616']
Hi dood! How would you compare the clarity/ frequency responce between the er15s and the 64 audios?
[/quote]
Can't really compare as one is earplugs with filters, the other is an in-ear monitor!

I have 15s and I can't use them if I really want to hear my rig properly. :( If I wear them I can hear guitar and drums very well but bass is somehow tamed and I am losing high end. On top of that, one plug is much longer than other and it feels like it blocks my ear canal much better, being also less comfortable. Really mixed feelings about this product.

When faced with what filters to get I based my decision on the fact I was getting them because I was never happy with the various make ER17/20 universal plugs I had been using. I went for the ER25 filters and have not regretted it, either as a player or a punter.

Edited by goingdownslow

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476867174' post='3157839']
Can't really compare as one is earplugs with filters, the other is an in-ear monitor!
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he said earlier in the thread that he had some 64 audio plugs first before the IEMs(could have misunderstood though) They do make plugs as well as IEMs.

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1476868936' post='3157863']
I have 15s and I can't use them if I really want to hear my rig properly. :( If I wear them I can hear guitar and drums very well but bass is somehow tamed and I am losing high end. On top of that, one plug is much longer than other and it feels like it blocks my ear canal much better, being also less comfortable. Really mixed feelings about this product.
[/quote]

I would go back to the audiologist who made the moulds and get them to make it right on the fitting.

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1476868936' post='3157863']
[/quote]

There are some circumstances that they are not perfect for and for me this is if my bass rig is not firing up to my ears, I'm too close to the cab or if I'm slapping, somehow the the notes sound kind of flat. I did contact ACS about that particular aspect and they said it is something that they are aware of and not uncommon for all types of plugs.

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1476820327' post='3157616']
Hi dood! How would you compare the clarity/ frequency responce between the er15s and the 64 audios?
[/quote]

I would compare for you, but it'd be an unfair comparison as my ER15 should get an award for long service! You are meant to get remoulds every 4 years or so... mine may have done double that! (The seal never failed though).

My 64's are brand new and have a different attenuation level so I think they do sound different. Maybe the filters are weaker in the ER's now. I do think that the 64's have the flatter or, more even response though. A softer tone at the moment.

I do also have the 64 Audio A8 in-ear monitors and I'm really getting used to them.. and I love them. Such a refined sound!

After reading this thread I've just booked my appointment for a test, hopefully leading to having a moulded set made.

I've used the Christmas tree ones for years but never got used to them so often haven't bothered putting them in or wear only one. Not good.

With the big six - oooh coming next May and over 40 years working in loud environments it's a wonder I've any hearing left. time for action at last.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Frank.

[quote name='AndrewJordan' timestamp='1476970694' post='3158909']
Cheers dood!
[/quote]

No problem!!

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1476973254' post='3158929']
After reading this thread I've just booked my appointment for a test, hopefully leading to having a moulded set made.

I've used the Christmas tree ones for years but never got used to them so often haven't bothered putting them in or wear only one. Not good.

With the big six - oooh coming next May and over 40 years working in loud environments it's a wonder I've any hearing left. time for action at last.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Frank.
[/quote]

Yes!!! Good on ya! :) I hope the hearing test goes well for you! - I get my lug'oles checked when I have my eyes tested every two years. it's good to keep an eye on any degradation I may be suffering. What's interesting is that when I wear earplugs for a long two hour gig, I actually feel less worn out too. There must be something about having your ear drums pummelled constantly that has a bearing on well-being too!

Maybe it's just me ha ha!!

That said, I LOVE my in-ear monitors, a whole new level of musical comfort :)