Why become a member? ×

Is my TC BH550 faulty

Slaveunit

Hi all, very rare poster here I know, but long time lurker...

I've just picked up a TC electronic BH550 amp to replace the GK I had (from here) and already I'm regretting it...

The amp plays fine through speakers and headphones, but I can't get the toneprint to work. Beaming the signals to the amp does nothing like.

The TC ewebsite suggests I update the firmware but the very second the USB is plugged into the computer it trips the entire electrics in my house!

Does anyone have one of these and have any idea what to do?

Thanks

Have tried emailing TC Electronic support? I found them quite helpful recently on an issue I had with my RH750.

Also on my BH250 I have found, on downloading tone print from my iPad, that you do need pick ups on full and do not use via an effect units.

Having said this, and I know this be of little comfort, but I do not use the tone print anyway as I prefer my Zoom B2 which offers a wider and better sounding range.

I must admit I can't work out how plugging the USB into your PC trips the electrics and sounds like it could be the PC at fault?

Good luck!

There's something seriously wrong with your mains electricity for the trip to go off just by plugging in the USB lead. I'd be far more worried about that than the toneprint tbh. It might be more than a killer tone that you'll end up with!

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1469690013' post='3100270']
There's something seriously wrong with your mains electricity for the trip to go off just by plugging in the USB lead. I'd be far more worried about that than the toneprint tbh. It might be more than a killer tone that you'll end up with!
[/quote]

+1 there is something seriously wrong somewhere. Try the amp - usb connection in another location (that has a circuit breaker). If it works correctly I would get your home electricity and pc checked. You can get mains testing plugs which will give you some indication (however they do not detect neutral - earth reverse).

Edited by 3below

I don't know if they share the same circuitry but my BG250 mk2 (circa 2014) had an electrical fault which caused it to pop quite loudly when turning on and you could see a blue flash of light from the amp area near the mains connector. Known problem apparently and was repaired under warranty. Was fine after that.

Secondary matter but I found if the volume on my phone wasn't loud enough or I didn't have the gain right, the toneprint wouldn't work. You need to see the lights flash immediately after the tone ends then it's picked it up.

I know I have had issues with TonePrint via a P bass pickup, via my Jazz bass pickups everything was fine.
I talked to TC about it, and they know that some people have the same problem.
Try to update the software via a computer

My BH800 doesn't always update via beaming, but you do need to turn up both the phone volume and the volume control on your bass. I mute the amp before doing this.

Re your electrical issue, I seem to recall that you should only connect the usb when the amp is powered down.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

The BH 800 i have just bought seems ok, it wasn't downloading via my phone but once i reconnected the kettle power lead it started behaving itself.
I can't get any delays or reverbs tho.
I havn't been able to find any tc help desk phone number or contact mail, well not one they reply to any way.
Starting to wonder if this is all its cracked up to be, any advise would be good.
As it stands it may be going back to GAK

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1477073043' post='3159746']
As far as I know, delays and reverbs aren't available for the heads - they weren't last time I looked. You'll probably do what most people end up doing - loading up the Spectracomp and leaving it at that!
[/quote]

That's exactly what I've done :)

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1477142037' post='3160116']
What are peoples views on the bh range, tone prints aside.
[/quote]

I've been gigging a bh250 with a tc 112 cab for a year now and had no problems with it. It's easy to use, got a handy tuner and mute button. I think it puts out a pretty good sound bit that's entirely subjective.
I played through someone else's bh550 with a 210 tc cab at my last gig and that was pretty cool, bit clankier than mine but I quite liked it :)

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1477142037' post='3160116']
What are peoples views on the bh range, tone prints aside.
[/quote]

My BH550 is clean, direct and very crisp sounding with massive amounts of volume on tap from a true 550w (unlike the RH series). The intelligent EQ system is also brilliant, very musical sounding.

Tuner and mute switch are also massive boons on stage. The Toneprint are great (although I personally find a lot of them a bit useless). It has great build quality and finish.

Edited by 40hz