Why become a member? ×

Bass buggie

sarah thomas

It is made out of a plastic HGV mudguard from the looks of it, which aren't expensive, and looks like it would stand up like the bass buggie as there is a hole for the endpin. If you wanted a bass buggie in particular, there are a couple of european stockists, but I'm guessing you already knew that. I have a trolley that I lug my DB about on, and although it can stand up I don't really like leaving it unattended as it doesn't take that big a nudge or gust of wind to topple it.

Thanks everyone! I'm on a summer school in Cardiff at the moment and more and more convinced of the need for a buggie. I have a trolley and a bass wheel. Wondering how long the case with wheels would last (the wheels) trundling over pavements and roads. I hear they're fine for smooth floors but wear out quickly on the streets. (Don't we all). A recent devotee of Screwfix, I need to check out their sack trolley. You've all given me great ideas, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

The excellent Laurence Dixon of Bassplace, Herne Hill, had one in his shop which he posted to me. £131 posted, but could have saved a tenner by going to have a look at his shop. Sadly I live too far away and was too busy to take him up on his offer. I don't know if he's importing more, but worth asking if you want one. I've been using a borrowed one for a couple of weeks now which convinced me to get one myself.

Can I just point out that whether you use a Bass Buggie or a Wheelbass, they are definitely not suitable for standing up your bass with them on (at least not attended)!
My friend had his bass stored standing up with the Bass Buggie attached and it fell over and broke the neck. I've got a wheelbass myself as they seem a bit more durable and the bumper is invaluable in protecting your instrument from pavements etc.

Also, make sure it's secured firmly in the bungee - balls should be up. And if you're using the buggie without a case for your bass, don't let the hard balls press against the body when transporting it. Crikey, this sounds more like a Viz comic strip with every single word. But I've heard of one double bassist with a hole in her body and another whose bass fell off the buggie. It's worth watching the video and taking time to adjust the strap properly. And that's enough from me.