Why become a member? ×

Angled jack recommendation

sellisnba

KiOgon's right - Neutriks all the way; I'm still using a lead that I had made for me 23 years ago from Van Damme cable and Neutrik jacks. They're a little bit more extensive initially, but as the old saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice".

Also (perhaps more importantly) you've got peace of mind that your kit isn't going to crap out and fall apart at any given moment.

I'll add one other thing, Neutrik make a silent jack (NP2RX-AU-SILENT) [url="http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/silentplug/np2rx-au-silent"]http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/plugs-and-jacks/silentplug/np2rx-au-silent[/url] - there's a silver sleeve over the plug that keeps these babies silent until they're fully engaged. No nasty cracks or noise when you plug in. The amp end of the cable can be whatever plug you want, just use one of these at the guitar end. They're brilliant.

Dave/OBBM can make these up for you.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1469517379' post='3098860']
I'll add one other thing, Neutrik make a silent jack (NP2RX-AU-SILENT) .
[/quote]
They're great when they work, but I've had a couple of these fall to bits mid gig. I know you can in theory get them replaced under life time warranty but still not ideal.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1469537644' post='3099110']
They're great when they work, but I've had a couple of these fall to bits mid gig. I know you can in theory get them replaced under life time warranty but still not ideal.
[/quote]

I had one that just stopped working and Dave replaced the jack without issue, this was four or five years ago, since then no issues. Unless you enjoy the sound your amp makes when you plug it in with the volume up, these are the jacks!

Earlier this year I sent 15 dead ones back to Neutrik and they were replaced. They've changed the construction of the latest ones and they are much more reliable. I'm happy to supply just the jacks if any member wants to DIY.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1469546515' post='3099260']
I had one that just stopped working and Dave replaced the jack without issue, this was four or five years ago, since then no issues. Unless you enjoy the sound your amp makes when you plug it in with the volume up, these are the jacks!
[/quote]

I don't like that noise... so I always make sure I hit mute first (either at the amp -if I use the GB- or at the tuner).

Despite apparently not really needing the fancy Neutrik plugs, I liked the idea. But the failure reports put me off enough and I haven't tried them. I think I'll stick to using the mute button as I have been doing, and standard Neutrik plugs. I hope it's a temporary construction issue that gets rectified in the future.