Why become a member? ×

Mick Karn :(

NancyJohnson

Only yesterday saw the Midge Ure No Regrets performance with Mick on bass for the first time. The sound was amazing. Remember seeing him at Tiffany's in Leeds with Japan back in the day, he was completely mesmerising as he appeared to move back and forth as if on casters head wobbling furiously. Pioneer.

Edited by Bassmonkey
  • Like 1

[quote name='Bassmonkey' timestamp='1469539247' post='3099137']
Pioneer.
[/quote]

Well put! Here's the Bobble-Head on Castors song, Sons Of Pioneers. I'll have a rummage for the No Regrets performance, not seen that before. Ta!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suQyFBx1ilY

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1469540559' post='3099162']
Here tis. You forgot to mention some blokes on the drums and guitar! Phil Collins and Pete Townsend. Some lovely footage of MK around the 2m05s mark.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMl_wPCv0No[/media]
[/quote]

Ah yeah - those two. I reckon if they keep practicing they'll do OK ha ha

A superb talent indeed. When I got my first fretless, I remember playing Halloween from Quiet Life endless times trying to nail it. His work on that album plus Tin Drum was truly outstanding. I've always put those albums above Gentlemen Take Polaroids as the bass mix was more prominent to my ears. That said, the outro to the title track of that album was always so cool for the bass. Oh, and Cantonese Boy from Tin Drum was awesome too. And while we're at it, there's a lot of great work on the first two Japan albums (eg Suburban Berlin) but it's not quite as nuanced.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1470170604' post='3103882']
I was impressed by his playing here. Mick wasn't on the studio cut, but he absolutely nails it here:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhMwwfaXNM[/media]

RIP Mick.
[/quote]

Hadn't seen that. Wardrobe malfunction. :)

• 1 month later...

Can't echo the sentiments in here enough - nothing like him.

OK, Angie Bowie aside (actually, I really don't mind what she does here) - I'm mesmerised by this bassline and his playing... ridiculously good...ok, the Alice band might be a step too far but how cool is this?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14YmRABFFg[/media]

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1470080802' post='3103191'] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3XNuBTy_Q[/media] RIP Mick [/quote]

Thank you! Thank you so much!

I've been bombarded with people praising MK ever since I first got involved with this forum, and I never really got what the fuss was all about - tons of talent, but also tons of fx and basslines that only worked with a very idiosyncratic style of music. As regular gigger with pub rock bands, modern originals bands, blues bands, northern soul bands, etc. I could never see (hear) what it was that I could take from his playing.

This track, on the other hand, oh yes - there are licks, riffs and note choices there that make MK sound like a regular bass player who just happens to be really, really good. Now that's something I can at least aspire to. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1473682651' post='3132187']
Thank you! Thank you so much!

I've been bombarded with people praising MK ever since I first got involved with this forum, and I never really got what the fuss was all about - tons of talent, but also tons of fx and basslines that only worked with a very idiosyncratic style of music. As regular gigger with pub rock bands, modern originals bands, blues bands, northern soul bands, etc. I could never see (hear) what it was that I could take from his playing.

This track, on the other hand, oh yes - there are licks, riffs and note choices there that make MK sound like a regular bass player who just happens to be really, really good. Now that's something I can at least aspire to. :)
[/quote]

I'm a huge fan of MK and like many others, was inspired by his fretless work. But, I like this vid, not the usual from Mick, good to see him "rocking out" and "having fun"? :)

I love his playing, though sadly discovered it only quite recently. I've got a couple of his solo albums, and one by rain, tree, crow.

What I like is the fact that he's different, in a sea of people all sounding alike. I like difference, it should be applauded.

• 1 month later...