Why become a member? ×

Finally found my set up

hooky_lowdown

I know many peeps around here are gear snobs, so this thread is [b]not[/b] for you.

I've been looking for a cheap, fun, lightweight set up for small gigs and rehearsals for a (long) while, and now I've got it. After reading lots of good reviews about the Harley Benton PB Shorty bass I pulled the trigger on one. Lowered the action and set intonation, changed the stock pick up (which sounded ok, but was a little hollow for my taste) for a GFS PB Pro Vintage (overwound) pickup I had stashed away for a project like this, and put on some new flatwound strings - D’Addario ECB81S Chromes (Short Scale 45-100). Wow, this thing now sounds full and round, and has tonnes of low end. In fact it sounds as good as my Fender Precision CIJ '62 Vintage Reissue PB62.

I know many people don't like short scale basses, but I don't mind them. The HB body is about 20% smaller than standard p bass size, neck is fast and fun to play (42mm at nut), frets came level and crowned pretty well, and best of all the bass only weighs slightly more than a Danelectro bass, so good for my back.

I teamed the little HB up with the TC Electronic BG250-115 (weighs 39lbs), I have the amp on its 'Vintage' setting with a bit of drive, and the sound of these two is brilliant.

I did some research to find the best prices, and this is what my rig ended up costing...

Harley Benton PB Shorty bass cost £66 new (can pick them up on ebay for less than £50)
GFS PB Pro Vintage pickup cost £25 new
D’Addario ECB81S Chromes (Short Scale 45-100) cost £33 new

TC Electronic BG250-115 cost £280 new (can pick them up on ebay for around £160)

[b]Total for new gear[/b]
£124 for bass and upgrades / £280 for amp = £404

[b]Total for secondhand[/b]
£105 for bass and upgrades / £160 for amp = £265

Conclusion, for less than 300 notes secondhand I've got a rig perfect for small gigs and rehearsals (I play indie rock), and for medium gigs I use the amp as a monitor and run DI to PA. With the amp on a hand truck I can cart my gear to gigs and rehearsals without any bother, even on a bus if I need to.

The most sensible post I've seen in ages. If your gear works for you, that's all that matters. Before I got involved with this forum some years ago, I had one bass and one rig that I used exclusively. They were just tools. I spent my time playing, not gassing... :mellow:

Edited by discreet

Similar to Discreet here, for years I had a very simple set-up, no constant swapping things about for the tone nirvana, then I joined Basschat and all that went pear-shaped. I`m there on basses, there on strings, pretty much there on cabs (new ones on way from same manufacturer as current ones), amp-wise for some reason I want to be using Ashdown, so at some point will try one out if only to reaffirm that I`ve already made the right choice with what I currently use. So congrats hooky, very pleased for you, concentrate on having fun playing, that`s what it`s really about - tho must admit the endless GASSING has been fun along the way as well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469357611' post='3097602']
Great..... Tho it may depend if this translates to people who played or want to play with you.
Poor sound is one thing that won't get you booked, imo.
[/quote]

Sound is one of those subjective things. But this rig sounds great, I nail the sound I want/like. So I'm a happy bee, hence why I posted my set up.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1469358086' post='3097605']
Similar to Discreet here, for years I had a very simple set-up, no constant swapping things about for the tone nirvana, then I joined Basschat and all that went pear-shaped. I`m there on basses, there on strings, pretty much there on cabs (new ones on way from same manufacturer as current ones), amp-wise for some reason I want to be using Ashdown, so at some point will try one out if only to reaffirm that I`ve already made the right choice with what I currently use. So congrats hooky, very pleased for you, concentrate on having fun playing, that`s what it`s really about - tho must admit the endless GASSING has been fun along the way as well.
[/quote]

I hear you Lozz. I've been playing for over ten years, and have been gassing for all that time, always looking for that better sound or fun set up. I used to use my Fender Precision CIJ '62 Vintage Reissue PB62 with an Ashdown AMB 500 combo, and that set up I really liked. But wanted a light weight set up, to make gigging more fun, as lugging heavy gear around, especially during winter is not much fun. I really like Ashdown amps, though if you get a chance try the TC Electronic BG250, there's a BG500 head which is really good as well.

I love good value kit.....well done and i'm glad you've got some gear that is comfortable and plays well.

I agree that far too many people love talking about the name on their headstock rather than actual playing.

Enjoy the gear, play the gigs n rehearsals and enjoy it 👍

Yup, I had the same bass (a BB3000a) from new in 87-88 until a few years ago when I discovered this place. I've since had dozens, and dozens of amps/cabs.

What I've also had is fantastic fun buying and trying every sort and make of bass and amp and cab I fancied (and even some I initially didn't) - it's been a great hobby and a journey. And I'm a much better player than I ever was.

What's not to like? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469736228' post='3100803']

String choice is SO important and can radically change the sound and playability of a bass. I think they get overlooked sometimes.
[/quote]

Agreed 100%. Decent strings can bring in so much character, one of the most important components in making the sound

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469736228' post='3100803']
String choice is SO important and can radically change the sound and playability of a bass. I think they get overlooked sometimes.
[/quote]
[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1469774914' post='3100911']
Agreed 100%. Decent strings can bring in so much character, one of the most important components in making the sound
[/quote]

And a relatively cheap and fully reversible mod.