Why become a member? ×

Painting MIM Jazz bass headstock

Pastor

I'd like to paint the headstock of my MIM Jazz to match the body which is candy apple red. I think the finish on the neck is polyurethane but I'm not sure and the aerosols for the C.A.R are nitro, are the two compatible? I really don't want to have to strip the neck and lose the serial number from the back of the headstock

Many thanks for any advice.

Apologies if this gets posted twice, I tried to post the question earlier but the post didn't appear

You can paint over poly (ester or urethane) with nitro no problem. It actually makes a great base for it as it should be dead flat. Just lightly sand the existing finish with 400 on a block. If you mask everything off and plug the tuner holes before spraying you shouldn't have any problems getting colour on areas you don't want it. CAR is a bi*** though! Good luck and remember to not sand your colour/metallic coats.

Cheers for that, I used to be a cabinet maker in a former career so I'm not bad at spraying from a technique point of view but know nothing about paint compatibility as I always sprayed fresh. I'll do some test pieces first to make sure I can get a colour match as best I can before even taking the strings off my base. Fingers crossed it will turn out OK

More help if I may please

I painted the headstock, it turned out fine much better than I dared hope, I used the paints from Northwest Guitars and the colour match was near perfect although it didn't look like it for the first couple of red coats but as it built up it got there.

Here's the carp bit, I bought a couple of decals off ebay and tried to stick them on but the gold is semi transparent and is near invisible. Does anyone know where I could get a Fender Jazz Bass decal that has a more solid gold lettering for the Fender bit?

Edited by Pastor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...