Why become a member? ×

Pickup fell out

72deluxe

My pickup started eeking its way out at a practice and magnetically sticking itself to the strings. On examination, a brass (??) fittings that is sunk into the wood has liberated itself from the wood and is floating free.

I am thinking of using some glue to glue it back in and then put a seal of glue around the top rim of the fitting after it is in. I am thinking of doing it to the other fittings that are currently still in, to stop this happening to them too.

Pictures included, with the free brass fitting pictured upside down so you can see how it was meant to grip the wood in the first place.

Suggestions?

Epoxy?

Thanks in advance
Rich

If it's a fairly tight fit then superglue (other brands of cyanoacrylate are available). If it's not so tight then epoxy - I'd loosely locate the pickup to ensure the threaded insert is held in the right place, depending on the amount of play

Looks like a Maple cap on an Ash body. While the brass inserts would have probably held in the maple - ash has a much coarser grain and they should have probably used something more like this:

For a much more secure hold in the wood grain. Especially with less dense grain ash is unpredictable. Not suitable for press fit fittings, unless it's your only option.
I'd reuse the fitting to keep the bass stock, sticking it in with Gel superglue, or epoxy Would not recommend thin/watery superglue as it may not bond the wood and fitting together as well as desired, instead mostly soaking into the exposed end grain.
If you want to use thin CA/superglue (if that's all you have) you can put a couple of drops in, let it dry, put in another couple of drops, see if it pools in the bottom of the hole or gets soaked in - if it pools you can add another couple of drops and drive in your fitting. If it gets soaked up, let it dry and try again. Sometimes the wood can soak up a fair amount - it's like putting on an oil finish!.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I am glad I asked! PlungerModerno, you are right. It is maple on swamp ash. I will give the wood glue a go first and then if that doesn't hold, attempt the plugging of the hole and refilling. I'll let you know how it goes.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I ended up using No More Nails and put it onto the piece of brass, which I then wedged back in the hole. Also pasted some around the top of the brass to make a ring around the top over the lip to the wood.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Seems to be holding! Thanks for the insights.[/font]