Why become a member? ×

The Bartolini myth.

bubinga5

As some may know I have just put some Bartolini 59j pups in my Elwood 5 string Jazz . I have got to say these pickups are smokin.!! I had a set in the Sei Jazz bass years ago but that was a very different bass. Sounded amazing, in other jazz basses I've had Dmarzio, Sadowsky, Lindy,s, Lane,s. The myth is that Bart original jazz bass (not the classic bass series) pickups have big lows and prominant low mid's, but not alot of high end. I'm not a fan of super bright pickups, so the reasoning behind these. It just isn't true. They do everything incredibly well. I'm totally blown away by them. Going straight into an Aguilar AG500 and an Aguilar 212, . The thing is they have there high end but the high end is super class. No brittleness, which I hate. They are super smooth. I was debating whether to change out the Delano 2 band but now I'm not sure I need to feed the pickups anything else. I can understand why so many high end bass Luthier use Bartolini. A few pics of my install. The only way I can explain these pickups is. Lindy Fralins dipped in the world's most expensive cream.The Delano single coils are great by the way. They will be on sale.

Edited by bubinga5

I've a Bart PJ set in my streamer - its a fairly bright bass with a sharp attack - where the original MEC sounded like a machine gun the Barts just sound lush.
My pink stingray-a-like bitsa has a bart MM going into my clone of a pre EB preamp - again sound amazing.

Great pickups

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469387095' post='3097929']
I'm looking to replace some fenders.... was looking for some ideas/feedback. hmm
[/quote] slightly different sound to your trad fender sound. Bubinga5 is right - take your fender pickups, replace them with the best fender-a-like pickups out there and then add very expensive cream... Barts and Nordstands are my fave pup makers i've tired - v. different from one another though.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1469386851' post='3097926']
I never subscribed to the Bartilini = dark logic.

One of those internet trends spoken by people that have no experience probably.
[/quote]I'm not sure where it came from. Also I hear that Bartolinis have low output. Not true. These pickups are huge.imo the best pickups in the world. Everyone has different ears of course. I have the full Delano preamp and pickups package for sale by the way. He he.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1469387725' post='3097937']
I'm not sure where it came from. Also I hear that Bartolinis have low output. Not true. These pickups are huge.imo the best pickups in the world. Everyone has different ears of course. I have the full Delano preamp and pickups package for sale by the way. He he.
[/quote]

That 'brittleness' you talked about the Barts not having? That is probably where it came from. Most modern high end pickups are full range and if not eq'd correctly can sound very hifi in the high end. The Barts sound darker as they don't have the glistening high end naturally. This was my experience with the two Roscoe's and a Warwick I have owned, certainly darker sounding than the likes of Nordstrand.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1469387447' post='3097934']
slightly different sound to your trad fender sound. Bubinga5 is right - take your fender pickups, replace them with the best fender-a-like pickups out there and then add very expensive cream... Barts and Nordstands are my fave pup makers i've tired - v. different from one another though.
[/quote]

I use Barts elsewhere... and I just am looking for a pickup to complement a Glock pre amp.

Something transparent---ish ( i dislike that term as it implies 'true' which not not be the case at all..) but I don't want a huge lot of influence on the sound.

In that respect I have always thought some stock pickups rob you of nuance.. as they are too forced.
But the real driver behind the propsed pickup swap is balance...
I'll only really know how 'poor' they are with a brand new set of strings..I think.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469388990' post='3097949']

I use Barts elsewhere... and I just am looking for a pickup to complement a Glock pre amp.

Something transparent---ish ( i dislike that term as it implies 'true' which not not be the case at all..) but I don't want a huge lot of influence on the sound.

In that respect I have always thought some stock pickups rob you of nuance.. as they are too forced.
But the real driver behind the propsed pickup swap is balance...
I'll only really know how 'poor' they are with a brand new set of strings..I think.
[/quote] I tried glock 2 band with a Bart Pj set in the streamer- wasn't a good mix. I had a treble control above anything that made a difference and a bass control that was either overpowering sub bass, flat or no borrow end.
Possibly it was the sound of the bass rather than the pups that didn't fit - and maybe in a fender style bass they would work.

Funnily, after getting back from a rehearsal tonight using a bass with new pickups and electronics in, I think I've found a great pairing for my Glock 3-band. A set of EMG PJ's - now my bass doesn't have the standard PJ positions to my eye so that may make a difference too. I had a Miller slap with a bit of Wimbish, but roll it back and I slipped in to Nate Watts territory. Very pleased! Pounding bass, not at all subby. Would like to give Barts a go again at some point but not really found a pairing I've really liked. 9J's sound great though.

I put Barts in my P bass in 92 and my 97 Lakland came with Barts and an NTMB-L 3 band EQ. Fantastic sounding pickups IMO.

At one point Bartolini seemed to have cornered the boutique bass market. You don't do that unless you make great products.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1469385073' post='3097901']
Sounds great. That bass has such a nice grain I'd be inclined to leave the pickguard off!
[/quote]+1 to that, it's very pretty, don't hide it. Perhaps a clear p/g?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1469398492' post='3098045']
I tried glock 2 band with a Bart Pj set in the streamer- wasn't a good mix. I had a treble control above anything that made a difference and a bass control that was either overpowering sub bass, flat or no borrow end.
Possibly it was the sound of the bass rather than the pups that didn't fit - and maybe in a fender style bass they would work.
[/quote]

I do think the bass construction plays a mighty part in the sound and am happy with the Glock ( it is 3 band) but I just like where they centre or bias the tones controls.
I'm thinking Nords or Fralins but I need to bed in the Pre, swap out the bridge and get that working and see where I am after that.
Too many changes too close together could mean I lose sight of what made any difference.

Could I live with the bass as it... yes, but I also think I can improve it as nothing on a Fender resonates quality or best-out-there to me.
They build to a pricepoint--which is on the cheap side--- and trust the name on the headstock carries it.

The bass is a block of wood-compared to some-- but I think the core tone is there so it is just a question of amplifying that up with sympathetic/compatible elecs.
Why did I buy the f**** thing..? It works on some level.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1469535547' post='3099059']
I have had two pedullas. All maple basses. Both with Bart pre and pickups and sounded awful, dark, low powered and polite.

There is some credence to the idea they are dark and low output.
[/quote]

Having bought one of those Pedullas off you I would have to disagree! I thought those Barts (soapbars) were anything but "awful" and their output seemed fine to me!

Played one of the very first buzz basses back in the eighties and the clarity an punch from a fretless just blew me away. Never have played a fretted Pedulla but the fretless versions I have played were anything but dark.

Even though I have little or no real escuse for buying a fretless nowadays, if an old Pedulla Buzz showed up at a price I could afford without guilt.....