Why become a member? ×

32" Fiver - Warwick Rockbass Corvette - any thoughts?

Count Bassy

Now I really like my 32" scale Fender Urge (Mk1). Everything is so much more comfortable for my small hands, than on a 34", but I also like Fivers. Most of my playing these days is on an Ibanez SR605, which is a great five string, but 34" scale.

There are 32" (and even 30") fivers out there, but mostly expensive, which my standard and frequency of playing really don't justify (eg the Status King bass with the Bendwell).

Now Warwick have had a 32" Rockbass corvette available for a couple of years, and I'm in the unusual position of being able to spend the £750 required (still very much an indulgence at that price).

Anyway, the question is, has anyone here ever played one of these, and what do/did they think? Bear in mind that I've never played a Warwick of any type.
I recall Warwick had a reputation for necks like tree trunks at one point, is this still true? If so it might be a bit much after the slim necks I'm used to.

See the link below:

[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Warwick-Rockbass-Corvette-Basic-5-String-Bass-Medium-Natural-Satin/18KW"]http://www.gear4musi...ural-Satin/18KW[/url]

Any thoughts, comments or experiences welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by Count Bassy

I'd really like a medium scale fiver. I've owned a German Warwick in the past and it wasn't my favourite, but was well put together. However the neck was not terribly stable and I'd be concerned about that on an instrument where stiffness was particularly important. That's not to knock Warwick mind. Personally, I'd be inclined to talk to Adrian at Maruszczyk. For not much more money you'd have a great deal more choice.

Tobie

Warwick Rockbass 5er that I owned had a substantial 3 piece maple neck. I had no doubts about the stability and the build quality was also flawless. I would take a long hard look at used Warwick prices, they are a great value for buyers and depressing for sellers. A German Corvette is on here for £350 at the moment, what a used rockbass would fetch is anyone's guess.

Edited by 3below

I just found this comparison of a Rockbass with a Fender Jazz. It's not a Corvette but interesting just the same.

The OP Corvette is interesting for the 32" scale. I recon they're good.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAHxMWMuYlA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=JAHxMWMuYlA[/url]

Edited by Grangur

I can't comment on the 32 inch scale but I've a 34 inch Chinese Warwick Rockbase Streamer neckthru and it's wonderful. I have just had all the electrics changed to German Warwick but it was pretty good before and the neck isn't too big and appears extremely stable (in this humid weather) and for a 5 string it's only about 8 1/2 lbs in weight. My only issue is that I have the chance to get a Korean Warwick Starbass 5 and this might have to go to pay towards it otherwise it would be a keeper.

Edited by 6feet7

Thanks for the link Grangur - the Streamer sounds excellent. It would be great to hear a Corvette AB'd with a Jazz like this and also to hear how the 32'' fiver sounds, particularly its B string. I'll have a trawl of the web and post up anything interesting.

Tobie

• 7 months later...