Why become a member? ×

for Sale demo videos

Kevin Dean

You can't really judge a bass by a video. There are too many variables - recording quality for one, as you discovered. Also for some reason people think a furious fusillade of slapping is a good way to let you know what a bass sounds like. :rolleyes:

Plus, if you listen to the vid on crappy laptop speakers or below-par computer speakers there's no way you're going to get any idea of what it can actually sound like. And some of the playing on these demos is questionable, to say the least.

You shouldn't let it put you off the bass though, unless there are any other reasons for being wary about it. It's not the fault of the bass that the seller is a monumental bell-end. :D

I totally agree about the slapping thing & crappy lap top speakers . A microphone & di doesn't take that long especially that they are trying to sell a high end bass . There are some very good demonstrations out there however the Dood for one does great ones .

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469405814' post='3098076']
....You shouldn't let it put you off the bass though, unless there are any other reasons for being wary about it. It's not the fault of the bass that the seller is a monumental bell-end. :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1469434373' post='3098158']
I totally agree about the slapping thing & crappy lap top speakers . A microphone & di doesn't take that long especially that they are trying to sell a high end bass . There are some very good demonstrations out there however the Dood for one does great ones .
[/quote]

Yep, love Dood's demos / reviews.

I'd want to hear me play the bass anyway. I think, opening a huuuuge can of worms here.......possibly :), that basses sound different depending on the player.

I think most of the videos on Bass direct's website sound pretty much the same.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1469570159' post='3099525']
I'd want to hear me play the bass anyway. I think, opening a huuuuge can of worms here... that basses sound different depending on the player.
[/quote]

Well they do. I've posted a fair few audio clips of various basses ranging from 'affordable' to 'quite expensive' across many different brands, direct and through various amps and using various strings, playing pick and fingerstyle. And they all have a certain similarity about them... i.e. they are all me playing the bass. :rolleyes: And thus are of questionable use when trying to put across what a particular bass would sound like in someone else's hands.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1469404976' post='3098074']
I was looking at buying a certain bass until I checked out the sellers demo video , & to be honest the sound quality was so bad It's put me off . People need to put a bit more effort than sticking some unsuitable mic in the corner of a room .
[/quote]

A demo video that has been recorded by an amateur (non-professional camera operator) is just that. I'd use it as one of the deciding factors as to what the instrument looks like in its current condition. It would not be the deciding factor however if I was in the market for the sort of instrument being offered. Instead the vid is merely a means to making a shortlist of sellers to consider seriously. You wouldn't expect to do a sound check via Skype would you?

Edited by SpondonBassed