Why become a member? ×

Dave Edmunds or Billy Bremner?

Phil Adams

For the last 30 odd years I have assumed all the "mad" guitar parts on D.E.'s albums have been played by the man himself.
Also for much the same period I have been certain the solo on Kirsty Macolls "Guy Works Down The Chipshop" was by D.E. though I couldn't find him credited for it.
Sometime recently I watched Kirsty on TOTP with that song, and on guitar is Keith Chegwin!!! Only it's not Keith Chegwin, it's his doppelganger Billy Bremer.
So all these mad guitard solos on the Dave Edmunds songs, you know the ones, they're really off the wall, like the solo on "A1 on the Jukebox" for example, anyone know if they were palyed by Dave or his Rockpile stablemate Cheggers (Billy Bremner)?

Rockpile - the first band I ever saw live. Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner, Nick Lowe and post-Man but pre-Dire Straits Terry Williams. Great Gig. Did mostly Edmunds hit singles as I recall. Can't answer your question though, I was concentrating on what Nick Lowe was doing!

There's a documentary on YouTube worth tracking down called Born Fighters.

I can recall it includes Albert Lee doing his solo on Sweet Little Lisa. Doesn't help Andre the question but re-watching the programme might.

Great band ... My first group did 2 songs off Get It.

Back in the days of the 24 hour club, I was in a human pyramid at the Nashville Rooms with D.E., Nick Lowe and several others.... I think! :D. Er Morgan Fisher might have been there too. All very silly.
Not sure who the band was but Archie Leggett was on bass & Zoot money wore a gorilla suit for a lot of the time.

Edited by ivansc

When I first moved to London in 79 we used to go to a pub near Belmont Circle that had random bands on every Sunday night.

Billy Bremner used to turn up most weeks and jam with whoever was there. Always sounded great on both rhythm and lead. I swear most people had no idea who he was :)

• 7 years later...
10 hours ago, E sharp said:

Similar guitar style and sound on Perfect by Fairground Attraction, and also Faith by George Michael. 

Same bloke?

Faith: Hugh Burns

The song began life in May 1987 at PUK Studios, Denmark with Michael doing a 2-bar LinnDrum loop and Hugh Burns playing the Bo Diddley-style acoustic rhythm guitar part on a nameless metal-bodied acoustic.

Perfect: Mark Nevin

https://www.songwritingmagazine.co.uk/how-i-wrote/perfect-fairground-attraction#:~:text=British folk-pop band,single%2C Perfect%2C in 1988.

Edited by Mickeyboro

10 hours ago, casapete said:

Been a long time fan of Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds so looking forward to watching this.

Saw Rockpile in the late 70’s / possibly early 80’s at Dingwalls, great band. 

Thanks for posting!

Rockpile were one of the first bands I saw live, was about 79 when Dave Edmunds was in the charts with Girls Talk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Rockpile were one of the first bands I saw live, was about 79 when Dave Edmunds was in the charts with Girls Talk.

Great tune Loz, written by Elvis Costello. All interlinked artists - I saw the first Stiff Records tour which

featured EC, Nick Lowe with Dave Edmunds etc,  and also Ian Dury & Blockheads. Also caught Nick Lowe

a couple of years ago doing a solo gig, backed by Los Straitjackets, brilliant gig. Great times.

• Like 1