Why become a member? ×

Sitting down or standing up?

RickyV

Stand all the time. Although my strap means there is no height difference when I sit down, something changes (angle, position across the body?). I don't really know other than I have to really think where the frets / strings are sitting down. Weird.

Here's a tip that will save much effort and will help if you practice or play sitting or standing:

Sit down and set your strap length so that it's supporting the instrument when sat. When you stand up the bass will stay in the same position. Thus, all that hard work you put in to get your hands to play in a certain position isn't lost when you stand with the bass around your ankles!
You may find that you will need to adjust a little bit - I'm quite tall and have a bad habit of slouching at my chair sometimes, so I have to teach myself to sit upright properly and that is where I set my strap length. After that you will find things more comfortable when switching between sitting or standing. Interestingly though, I still alway play better standing up!

Try it, adjust the strap a bit up or down but don't stray too far away from the initial position IF you do lots of playing and practicing sat down. Keep things familiar and you'll notice aspects of your playing get better :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469458346' post='3098445']
Can you not sit down at the gig..? A folding chair or drum throne..? If not, why not..?
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

Not sure if serious...?

Unless it's a jazz, acoustic or mellow gig; or some sort of medical reason stops it then it just looks wrong to have people sitting on stage. I felt guilty sitting there when I broke my leg, when it was first plastered I had to keep my foot up or it was painful and I felt bad for the audience. I like to dance and interact and show that I'm having fun as well. That probably makes me sound a snob, but it's not entertaining to watch unless people are moving and showing a bit of emotion.

With regards to the OP, Scott Divine did a lesson about strap length which is worth a watch. Otherwise, it's just a case of practice and getting a feel for it.

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1469458639' post='3098454']
It's certainly a thought but I am not aware of too many bassists in rock bands that play sitting down (happy to be corrected tho) and to be honest I would feel a bit of a twat if I did!!
[/quote]
[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1469472184' post='3098619']
Not sure if serious...?

Unless it's a jazz, acoustic or mellow gig; or some sort of medical reason stops it then it just looks wrong to have people sitting on stage. I felt guilty sitting there when I broke my leg, when it was first plastered I had to keep my foot up or it was painful and I felt bad for the audience. I like to dance and interact and show that I'm having fun as well. That probably makes me sound a snob, but it's not entertaining to watch unless people are moving and showing a bit of emotion.

With regards to the OP, Scott Divine did a lesson about strap length which is worth a watch. Otherwise, it's just a case of practice and getting a feel for it.
[/quote]

Seriously..? Halfway house, really; I don't see the notion of having this special, optimised posture standing if one is, at the same time, moving about, interacting with the audience and generally 'rocking out'. Nothing wrong with any of that, of course, but I can't see the bass staying riveted in its 'home' place in doing that, unless it really is riveted in place. If one is moving about, the bass is swinging around at least a bit, isn't it..? Or does everyone loon about with a rigid instrument..? My point would be: either it's necessary to have a good, mastered posture (in which cas I'd say sit, and hang 'em all...) or it's not that important in rock, so rehearse and play as seems comfy or appropriate for the genre and leave the perfect stance out of it.
I sit, as a drummer, but if I wanted (or felt like...) playing standing (or even lying down...), I'd have no qualms with it. One plays as one plays, unless this stereotyping is really what it's all about, in which case what's the deal with the technical perfection..?
Serious, me..? Pshaw.! :mellow:

I nearly always sit when I practice/jam/record at home. (comes from all the hours spent as a bedroom bassist) Tho I did do a lot of standing in front of the mirror in the early days ;) (learning the real craft)
Gigs and rehearsals with others is all standing.

Edited by Highfox

Bottom line with me is I don't care what someone else thinks about how/if I stand sit on stage (OK, full disclosure, I've not had to do it with BG yet). The most important things are posture, stance and comfort. I've sung in probably several hundred gigs, and played cello and sax in dozens. Unless you want long-term health issues, getting posture and stance right are important and you should go with what works for you whether that is standing, sitting, or both.

I'm a relative newcomer to BG but my understanding was that the 'correct' approach was to set the strap length so that it doesn't move between standing/sitting thereby ensuring consistent technique and positon? (Yes, I know thee are those who like it slung low, but I fail to understand why as the ergonomics of that are dreadful and probably building problems for the future.)

When I started, I rehearsed sitting down and playing standing up was harder. Eventually it really does not matter. I practice both sitting and standing and both are fine. Give it time and it'll make no difference to you either... but if you find it hard at the gig because you're standing up maybe that's how you should practice too, at least for now.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469458346' post='3098445']
Can you not sit down at the gig..? A folding chair or drum throne..? If not, why not..?
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

For most rock bands at the local level sitting is not allowed.

I can't even imagine asking my band if I could play sitting down.

I'm 63 with a bad hip with sciatica going down to my toes. If I'm out here standing doing 4 hour bar gigs , you young guys should be able to handle standing.

Blue

Train as you mean to play on game day.

I do all my "practice" standing up, but will usually sit if I am trying to figure out new songs, this is just mostly so it's easier to skip through the song to repeat the sections in trying to learn.

You need to get some match fitness into your legs and back mate, if you don't, you may find yourself concentrating on your aching legs/back instead of what you are playing!!

A small tip, if like me, your practice space is banished to the garage, if you are on a hard floor, try putting a rug/off cut of carpet down, as stupid as it sounds, if you are spends no more than an hour shuffling about, it will make a difference!!

Good luck!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469473380' post='3098626']

Seriously..? Halfway house, really; I don't see the notion of having this special, optimised posture standing if one is, at the same time, moving about, interacting with the audience and generally 'rocking out'. Nothing wrong with any of that, of course, but I can't see the bass staying riveted in its 'home' place in doing that, unless it really is riveted in place. If one is moving about, the bass is swinging around at least a bit, isn't it..? Or does everyone loon about with a rigid instrument..? My point would be: either it's necessary to have a good, mastered posture (in which cas I'd say sit, and hang 'em all...) or it's not that important in rock, so rehearse and play as seems comfy or appropriate for the genre and leave the perfect stance out of it.
I sit, as a drummer, but if I wanted (or felt like...) playing standing (or even lying down...), I'd have no qualms with it. One plays as one plays, unless this stereotyping is really what it's all about, in which case what's the deal with the technical perfection..?
Serious, me..? Pshaw.! :mellow:
[/quote]

Bit of a digression... But, I'd say that good posture is obviously important; for health reasons more so technique. Also, I could 'loon about' and my bass would stay in place as I have my strap set to sit the bass on my stomach; as it would if I was sitting. I certainly couldn't play with it around my knees, punk stylee.

But, as the OP seems to want to play standing up, I'd advise just practicing it. Like anything, it was only a first gig and like woth anything related to learning an instrument; it improves with practice. When I started on guitar I remember going through this exact scenario.

Thought this may have been about preferences whilst going to the toilet.....

I always practice sitting down.
Useful tip, have your strap to hold your bass at the same height when your standing as it is whilst sitting when you practice.

For your information, sitting for the luxury feel ;)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1469476777' post='3098675']
My strap is adjusted so that the bass hangs in roughly the same place sitting as standing.

Then, most learning and practising is done sitting down or, if I get the urge, I stand up.
[/quote]

Just seen this, beaten to it!!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469476794' post='3098676']
For most rock bands at the local level sitting is not allowed.

I can't even imagine asking my band if I could play sitting down.

I'm 63 with a bad hip with sciatica going down to my toes. If I'm out here standing doing 4 hour bar gigs , you young guys should be able to handle standing.

Blue
[/quote]

Edited by Dad3353

Always sitting down, although its a bit difficult on a leather recliner chair not to keep hitting the neck on the arms. I could never see myself standing up in the front room with a Fender Precision strapped on. I would feel such a pillock! :(