Why become a member? ×

My home practice amp is... (or keeping stuff we don't need)

mcnach

Two Barefaced BB2 and a Genz Benz Streamliner 900.

:P

Well, thankfully there's a very effective volume knob, because this can make some noise! ;)

They're great cabs, and so is the amp... but ever since I found the TKS S112 cabs, it's pretty much all I use. They're small, light, and sound fantastic. And I haven't really needed more than what they can do. Those two and a MarkBass LM3, with the Stingray or the Precision... I've never been happier with my sound.

Someone more logical would say "great, then you can sell the BB2 cabs and free a bunch of new gear tokens! - keep the amp as backup"... but I can't bring myself to do that. Not yet anyway. How much stuff do we keep that we don't really need, "just in case"?
I'm pretty bad at that..

Jeez! There's no way on earth you could call that a practice rig!

Nice though, and [i]definitely[/i] worth keeping.

My rig lives elsewhere, as there's no room in the house for it with 2 little _5s running around. My 'Practice Rig' is a DHA VT1 DI-EQ; line in, headphone out, happy days. :)

Edited by paul_5

When I first got back into this bass playing lark a couple of years back. I bought a bass and played it acoustically for a couple of weeks then decided I'd get an amp... This happened to coincide with the Fender takeover of Genz and some crazy pricing lead to me buying a ShuttleMax12.2 and a pair of neo 2x12s for the living room practice amp :blink:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1469478423' post='3098703']
Two Barefaced BB2 and a Genz Benz Streamliner 900.

:P

Well, thankfully there's a very effective volume knob, because this can make some noise! ;)

They're great cabs, and so is the amp... but ever since I found the TKS S112 cabs, it's pretty much all I use. They're small, light, and sound fantastic. And I haven't really needed more than what they can do. Those two and a MarkBass LM3, with the Stingray or the Precision... I've never been happier with my sound.

Someone more logical would say "great, then you can sell the BB2 cabs and free a bunch of new gear tokens! - keep the amp as backup"... but I can't bring myself to do that. Not yet anyway. How much stuff do we keep that we don't really need, "just in case"?
I'm pretty bad at that..
[/quote]

My practice rig is 1 x TKS S112, LMIII and a precision. Gig rig is the same with an extra S112. Like you say, it's an unbeatable tone in a small, gig-stairs-friendly package. Couldn't be happier with mine either!

Phil Jones has the right idea.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/PJWeb-PhilAirPulse.png.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Music%20and%20Musicians/PJWeb-PhilAirPulse.png[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1469486697' post='3098781']
[b]Jeez! There's no way on earth you could call that a practice rig![/b]

Nice though, and [i]definitely[/i] worth keeping.

My rig lives elsewhere, as there's no room in the house for it with 2 little _5s running around. My 'Practice Rig' is a DHA VT1 DI-EQ; line in, headphone out, happy days. :)
[/quote]

:lol: of course, that was tongue-in-cheek. It's just that yesterday I realised that this rig is pretty much only used for home practice these days and thought it funny as in... exaggerated.

I keep the TKS downstairs with the covers on, ready to load and drive away :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1469515531' post='3098847']
When I first got back into this bass playing lark a couple of years back. I bought a bass and played it acoustically for a couple of weeks then decided I'd get an amp... This happened to coincide with the Fender takeover of Genz and some crazy pricing lead to me buying a ShuttleMax12.2 and a pair of neo 2x12s for the living room practice amp :blink:
[/quote]

brilliant! :lol:

I'm considering putting the BB2 on the desk as monitors :-p
It's a long desk :ph34r:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1469519070' post='3098873']
My practice rig is 1 x TKS S112, LMIII and a precision. Gig rig is the same with an extra S112. Like you say, it's an unbeatable tone in a small, gig-stairs-friendly package. Couldn't be happier with mine either!
[/quote]

Beautiful. :)

That's what I should end up doing too. I'm going to give it a year. If in a year I haven't used the BB2 rig live, then it's unlikely I'll miss them.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1469520092' post='3098887']
Well since going Mark-bass which my car's boot and back love me for , my hidden behind the living room door rig is , Trace Elliot SMC 715 GP7 plus a 15inch Trace Elliot 1153T >.< probably need to do something about this thing.
[/quote]

That would double as a nice paperweight too ;)

Mine is sort of sensible, an Ampeg B1E sending out to a David Eden 1x10.....but it gets a bit silly if I run it into the mixing desk which has a pair of Void Acoustic full range speakers and a 1000 watt amp to power them...yeah ok, I have a PA system set up in the spare bedroom :ph34r: