Why become a member? ×

Middle C

Biglump

Sorry,
I know it's probably been done to death, but which fret is eqivalent to middle C.
AND
What is meant by the bass is a transposing instrument, please?

I want to learn to change dots to tab and to play from the dots eventually.
So I could really do with knowing where the anchor is.

Many thanks,
The Lump

The bass is described as a transposing instrument since the note that you hear is an octave lower than the note that is written. As written, middle C is the one on the leger line that is between the A of the 5th line of the bass clef and the E of the first line of the treble clef. Seeing that, you would finger the 3rd fret of the A string (for example). The note that you would hear if you compared it to a piano is actually the C in the 2nd space on the bass clef, i.e. an octave lower.

[color=#0000cd][EDIT][/color] OK MEA CULPA - I wrote the original reply here thinking cello and not BG. Cello's top string is the A belo middle C and that is what I described.

If you want to play the note that sounds middle C, then you need to go an octave higher than written, which will be way up the G string..

Edited by zbd1960

Music written for the bass is notated 1 octave higher than it sounds; this is to avoid having to use too many ledger lines.

Here's "Another one bites the dust" written as it sounds:

And here's how it would be written for the bass guitar:

Much easier to read!

Middle C, as it's written for the bass, can be found at the 5th fret of the G-string. To play a true middle C, as it sounds in concert pitch, you'll want the 17th fret of the G-string.

~Joe

[quote name='zbd1960' timestamp='1469483368' post='3098769']
If you want to play the note that sounds middle C, then you need to go an octave higher, which I think means fret 15 on the A string.
[/quote]
[quote name='Joebass' timestamp='1469484500' post='3098774']
To play a true middle C, as it sounds in concert pitch, you'll want the 17th fret of the G-string.
[/quote]
[quote name='cb1' timestamp='1469491473' post='3098801']
A very concise, easy to understand and accurate answer to the OP's reasonable question - say no more.......
[/quote]

:unsure: :huh: :blink:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1469515840' post='3098849']
Joe is correct... zbd is an octave out!
[/quote]
Mea culpa. Yes, because I was thinking wrong instrument... :facepalm: The top string of the cello is A...

Edited by zbd1960

[quote name='Biglump' timestamp='1469978243' post='3102414']
So, erm, anything on the Bass cleff is going to be on the top 5 frets?
and the low e on the bass is written as -O-? as in the crude drawing below?
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-------------
-O-
[/quote]

Basically, that's correct, with the proviso that anything from the low 'A' upwards on that stave can be played, either using the 'A' string, or the 5th fret of the low 'E' string. Once there's a low 'A', anything above can be played on other strings, depending on many factors, such as proximity to the preceding/following notes, tonal issues, personal preference and more. Apart from the four very lowest notes, and the highest notes, there is no fixed fret for any note, unlike a keyboard, where there is no such ambiguity. There's no harm in starting off thinking as you suggest about only the lower frets, but it's good practice to read the notes on different strings as well. Confusing..? Not after the first forty years or so. :mellow:
Hope this helps; subject to completion, correction and/or contradiction from others.

Edited by Dad3353