Why become a member? ×

Strings - Velvet Compas 180?

neilp

I've been a Thomastik fan for many years - Spirocores and more recently Bel Cantos. I borrowed a bass recently from a pro friend which was strung with Velvet Compas 180s and the strings were gorgeous - soft, buttery, instant response and lovely rich sound under the bow.

Now here's the thing. I really like the Bel Cantos, they seem to suit Meghan very well, but she's due a string change and I can't help wondering.... Velvets are expensive though. Anyone have any experience they want to share before I break out the wallet?

Neil

I've never had Compass 180's but have run Velvet Blue and Vlevet Animas on my hybrid bass, as well as both Spiro mitts and weichs. I've just bought another set of Animas for that bass as they sound/feel the best out of all of those strings. The Blues were much brighter from the new than the Animas, but they soon darkened but didn't keep the character the Animas have. I managed a good few years out of the Animas with moderate use. I can even bow them. :) They are a great string but as with all basses and strings, you won't know until you try them on your bass. There's a mega-thread on TB about Velvet that may prove useful too.