Why become a member? ×

Do I need to buy an 8x10" cab now?

deanovw

Alex advised me to get the 8ohm 410 and the 12ohm 210, that then apparently makes a 4ohm load. From what I understand this way the 410 will get more power than the 210, which is ideal as there are twice as many speakers to share that power around, and this prevents the 210 from having to handle too much.

Edited by Lozz196

I think I may have the answer to your problem...

Go ahead with the 8x10 that you like so much, but order it from Amazon an hour or so before the gig so it is delivered by one (or possibly more) of their drones direct to the gig venue, flying in through the window if not on the ground floor. Play the gig then decide you don't want the 8x10 anymore and the drones come and pick it up for return. Who needs roadies when Amazon supply drones? :D

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1469536856' post='3099088']
Go for it. If you don't, you will always be wondering 'what if?'
[/quote]

I concur. It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done!

Ayup, get your favourite 810. Buy second hand. Give it a year, then see how it fits your wants and needs. Don't like it after all? If you looked after it a bit you'll have no trouble selling it for nearly what you paid for it.

I've tried Ampeg 8x10 in studios and found them a little dull sounding. I def wouldn't put up with the weight and size issue for one,
If anything i'd go down the route of 4x10 cabs. Lighter and more manageable and for smaller gigs just take one cab.
I looked into the Ampeg 4x10 cabs a few yrs ago and got some great insight from fellow BC'ers. The one i would lok at is the HLF cab. I've heard a few in bands with Ampeg SVT heads and they were pretty full sounding.
I've moved into the Markbass rigs now. Played thru a MB 4x10 and 1x15 rig and it was stunning.
I have found that a lt of the lightweight cabs don't seem to pack that punch and depth that an Ampeg 4x10 cab does.
I remember talking with JTUK about it few yrs back and seems others have similar opinion.

Can you maybe borrow some other bass rigs to try before buying. Friends or even your local bass shop might loan you second hand ones to try out at gigs.

Dave

I am also thinking along the 4x10 route as most of my favorite cabs (before the 8x10 incident) were 4x10 cabs.

The Barefaced 4x10 is looking promising paired up with one of my 2x10 cabs. That way there are a few options of small, medium and large rigs for different venues.

I have used an Ampeg 4x10 HLF cab in the past and I didn't bond with it. It sounded woolly to me.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1469556560' post='3099366']
I don't understand the people saying an Ampeg fridge is hard to transport. Negotiating stairs with one yes, but on the flat theyre easy to wheel along and mine fits in a Ford Ka along with two amp heads, a flight cased pedal board and two bass guitars.
[/quote]

WOW !!! Is it a tardus Ford Ka. that's an impressive packing masterpiece. Any chance of a photo. ?

Dave

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469612157' post='3099674']
Hi Dean. . . .guess I've been steering you the wrong way. I'd have put money on my 210 being sealed. Sorry.

I would checkout the Barefaced 410 though. Not sure it would need any help form a 210.
[/quote]

I would need the 2x10 to be able to use the SVT I am collecting tomorrow. The SVT is either 4ohms or 2ohms. I would have lots more options with the 8ohm 4x10 and a 12ohm 2x10. I have an Aguilar head to use for smaller gigs which is either 4 or 8ohms

[quote name='Tobe' timestamp='1469550081' post='3099300']
But the problem comes with each 2x10 been 8 ohm. thus stacking 4 takes you to a 2 ohm load. The 810 uses 32 ohm drivers so the 8x10 is 4 ohm!
[/quote]

Didn't Ampeg realise that they could get a 4 ohm 8x10 by using 8 ohm drivers?

It wouldn't be hard to sort out a custom wiring harness to make 4 x 2x10 at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm load.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1469616120' post='3099705']
Didn't Ampeg realise that they could get a 4 ohm 8x10 by using 8 ohm drivers?

It wouldn't be hard to sort out a custom wiring harness to make 4 x 2x10 at 8 ohms into an 8 ohm load.
[/quote]

Not sure why Ampeg use 32 ohm drivers to be honest. possibly spec differences or something! who knows, but that's what they did, and still do!

And yea your right with the 8 ohm drivers, a combination of series /parallel wiring would indeed bring you down to 4 ohm. but most folk just wanna plug in and play and don't really wanna start re-wiring their cabs or building harnesses.

Just had a quick peak at the Eminence Legend B810 which only comes as a 32 ohm driver! which possibly indicates that specs are pretty much unique to that particular driver! [url="http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_B810.pdf"]http://www.eminence....Legend_B810.pdf[/url]

Edited by Tobe

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1469611018' post='3099660']
I've tried Ampeg 8x10 in studios and found them a little dull sounding. I def wouldn't put up with the weight and size issue for one,
If anything i'd go down the route of 4x10 cabs. Lighter and more manageable and for smaller gigs just take one cab.
I looked into the Ampeg 4x10 cabs a few yrs ago and got some great insight from fellow BC'ers. The one i would lok at is the HLF cab. I've heard a few in bands with Ampeg SVT heads and they were pretty full sounding.
I've moved into the Markbass rigs now. Played thru a MB 4x10 and 1x15 rig and it was stunning.
I have found that a lt of the lightweight cabs don't seem to pack that punch and depth that an Ampeg 4x10 cab does.
I remember talking with JTUK about it few yrs back and seems others have similar opinion.

Can you maybe borrow some other bass rigs to try before buying. Friends or even your local bass shop might loan you second hand ones to try out at gigs.

Dave
[/quote]

The two 4x10 (or even two 2x10) cabs approach is a great alternative to the fridge, which is actually four sealed 2x10 units internally. I effectively run mine as two 4x10s anyway, since I bi-amp to separate a clean bassy sound from a dirty treblier one.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1469607405' post='3099633']
Do you NEED an 8x10? No.
Do you WANT an 8x10? Yes.
If you can afford it without causing discord or discomfort, go for it. YOLO.
[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest experience was playing (as a drummer) at a festival yesterday. The supplied rig was some all valve ampeg thing and 8x10". It sounded great, but then our bassist always sounds great. He was grinning and clearly in love with the rig, but it sounded exactly the same as the TC 2x10" combo he normally uses, at least from where I was sat.