Why become a member? ×

Do I need to buy an 8x10" cab now?

deanovw

I will try not to ramble on too much.

I have been searching for the perfect speaker cab for a while now. It is an expensive past time. :ph34r:

My two favorite cabs from my dim distant past were a Trace Elliot 4x10" in a 150w combo. That thing was loud, punchy and very very heavy. The other one was an Ampeg 8X10" with an SVT head. Not mine. I was in a support band and the headliners let us use their back line. That sound was all of the above and with heft. :D

Over the weekend I did a 45minute set in a local all day charity thing and the backline was supplied. An Ashdown 300w head and a no name 8x10" cab. What a sound. It was so punchy and it reminded me of the old Trace Elliot punchiness, and more.

So, my question to the great world of Bass Chat is, do I need to buy an 8x10" cab to get this punchiness?

I have tried most cabs available over the years. At the moment I am using two Barefaced 2x10" cabs. The sound is great but it doesn't kick like that 8x10" did.

Is it perhaps a sealed cab thing?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1469533599' post='3099033']
IMO you could get there with EQ and compression and/or drive, but I think most people will disagree with me. How are you stacking the 2 x 10"s?
[/quote]

True, compression would do it. I try to keep things simple though. Like me.

I stack the 2x10"s either way depending on how much room we have. I don't notice any real difference in the sound.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469533666' post='3099034']
You could always buy a Barefaced Eight10. :) Though I think the Big Twin 2 might be suitable for your needs.
I'm getting something of a 'sealed' sound from my 4ohm Two10 with a 500W amp. I like it.
[/quote]

Actually I did use the 4ohm 2x10" on its own for a while and that was almost there. It was a great setup. I thought two 2x10"s would be better and got another and changed the impedance to 12ohms for both cabs. They don't seem to be working quite as hard now though. Something was lost doing that I'm sure.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469534254' post='3099042']
The Ampeg 810 is 4 x 210 enclosures in the same box. If you can find several of the older Classic range SVT 210HE cabs they will work the same.
[/quote]

I did not know that.
Are they really heavy?

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1469534422' post='3099044']
Are they really heavy?
[/quote]

I wouldn't, but I don't have road crew and I've been spoilt by super-lightweight cabs over the last year or two. :)

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1469534191' post='3099041']
Actually I did use the 4ohm 2x10" on its own for a while and that was almost there. It was a great setup. I thought two 2x10"s would be better and got another and changed the impedance to 12ohms for both cabs. They don't seem to be working quite as hard now though. Something was lost doing that I'm sure.
[/quote]

Doesn't surprise me. You need to work the Two10 - it does like a fair amount of power, but sounds great with it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469534633' post='3099047']
The Ampeg 210 weighs about 60lbs. It was a sealed cab, as is the 810, and the only Ampeg cab I liked the sound of, and I had them all.
[/quote]

That's quite interesting. I have never tried one.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1469534017' post='3099038']
I stack the 2x10"s either way depending on how much room we have. I don't notice any real difference in the sound.
[/quote]

I would have thought stacking them vertically would be more likely to give you the same feeling as standing in front of an 8 x 10", as (for me) a big part of the appeal is having speakers up near your ears

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1469536342' post='3099075']
If you like it, have somewhere to store it and can transport it I say get one!! Nothing to lose, there's some good deals second hand and even new online
[/quote]

And there is the problem. Oh, and some of the places I play are smaller than a small thing.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1469536714' post='3099084']
I would have thought stacking them vertically would be more likely to give you the same feeling as standing in front of an 8 x 10", as (for me) a big part of the appeal is having speakers up near your ears
[/quote]

Before the weekend I would have thought you were correct. I can testify that is def not the case in my experience.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1469536836' post='3099087']
I use a sealed Markbass 4x10 and it is WELL punchy. A lot louder than any "normal" 8x10 I've tried as well.
[/quote]

Ah yes, a Markbass 4x10 has def been on my 'to try' list. It may have moved up the list a bit.

For me, it is simple..if you have the situation where it all fits to together and can laod it, get the FO rig.
The sound is the payback. If you don't or can't handle that, for various reasons and the weight is THE defining factor in a lot of cases, get something you can live with.

I have two rigs and both are mighty pleasant but Rig 1 trumps Rig 2 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I'm aware of this and plan accordingly. Bases covered.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1469537352' post='3099101']
For me, it is simple..if you have the situation where it all fits to together and can laod it, get the FO rig.
The sound is the payback. If you don't or can't handle that, for various reasons and the weight is THE defining factor in a lot of cases, get something you can live with.

I have two rigs and both are mighty pleasant but Rig 1 trumps Rig 2 every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I'm aware of this and plan accordingly. Bases covered.
[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head sir. Its not everyday I have the luxury to play on a stage suitable for an 8x10". But when I do it would be great to have one available to use.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1469537014' post='3099094']
Before the weekend I would have thought you were correct. I can testify that is def not the case in my experience.
[/quote]

I never swallowed that line to be honest... and yes, I agree, most people get the 810 experience..(with a big lump driving it) and so the reason why this has been the rig of rigs for so many for so long is because it is tried and tested.

I don't know of anyone who wouldn't go down this route if they had the gig for it.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1469536953' post='3099092']
And there is the problem. Oh, and some of the places I play are smaller than a small thing.
[/quote]

Well in that case I think you should get TWO!!!!

Now lets get serious.

Have you ever tried to get an 8x10 up 3 flights of stairs, on your own?
Have you ever tried to pick up an Ampeg valve head (I 'tried' to pick up a SVT VR head once. I didn't realise, at the time, it weighed 6 stone. I thought it had been bolted to the ground) ?
Do you have roadies?

Edited by gjones