Why become a member? ×

Compression (Again Sorry)

Thunderbird

Hi Mates I have just about got my pedal board how I want it but my problem is I have put a buffer at the start of the chain and I find it really helps with my tone/signal but the problem I am having is that when I put my compressor on the volume drops bigtime I have moved the buffer and compressor about in the chain but with the same result so I am just wondering if it is not possible to rum the buffer and comp at the same time? sorry if this sounds like a daft question but I really dont understand all the pedal black magic I just know what sounds good to me

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like you have a level matching issue.
The buffer increases your signal level quite a bit, and when you turn on the comp (which is after the buffer) it cannot handle the
high level that the buffer delivers, and acts as a limiter.
You have two choices: either you decrease the level (i.e. output volume) of your buffer, so that the compressor can handle it, or you try
reversing the order of your chain, i.e. compressor first, then buffer.

If the compressor is always on, you might not need for the buffer, since it effectively is one. The only reason you would need the buffer is to prevent signal losses if you were running a long chain of FX and the compressor was near the end instead of near the beginning of the chain.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1471429695' post='3112963']
If the compressor is always on, you might not need for the buffer, since it effectively is one. The only reason you would need the buffer is to prevent signal losses if you were running a long chain of FX and the compressor was near the end instead of near the beginning of the chain.
[/quote]

Pretty much what I was thinking. If your setting the make up gain level correctly on the comp and it is always on then I can't really see the need for a buffer.
I had an active Morley volume pedal which I ran into my compressor and they didn't play too nicely together at first. Fortunately my compressor has a pad button which sorted the issue but buffering the signal up only to pad it back down again seems a bit counter productive.