Why become a member? ×

Stingray prototype

mcnach

So this is apparently a Stingray prototype, with a very Precision type of pickup (although closer to the bridge, as on a Stingray, so it would sound pretty close to what we know as a Stingray today)...

I had never seen this before.

Cool pics - notice that #3 has grown an extra fret and the production style bridge also, but still sports the reverse P type of pick up.

Many people may not be aware but the thing about basses in the mid 70s was players were increasingly looking for a wider range of sounds than was previously available - Stanley Clarke was probably the holy grail sound for many aspiring bassists in 1975. I guess the Stingray appears to have been aimed at producing a wide range of sound ranging from standard thumpy flatwound sound, through tic tac to full blown pop and slap. Old fashioned thump along Fender was pretty much less than cool at that stage apart from studio churn out MOR pop and stuff like James Last etc. Even the likes of a genius like Jamerson found work harder to get and famously didn't do the new late 70s style stuff.

I guess that's why the pick up location was chosen as it was, and the mutes and bass EQ could allow you to dial in the bottom end thump. Developing to a full humbucker and with parallel wiring would have given that cleaner slightly scooped sound.

Where did you find these pics?

I found the pictures on some thread on Talkbass about "the flawed pickup orientation of the Precision"... let me find it...

Ah, it's here on page 1, but unfortunately the link is just to the picture and it does not give any clues as to the origin:
[url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/leos-one-significant-design-flaw-imho.1234566/"]https://www.talkbass.com/threads/leos-one-significant-design-flaw-imho.1234566/[/url]