Why become a member? ×

Best Hiwatt clone?

The-Ox

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1469638343' post='3099967']...
I was interested in buying one with power scaling, so i could scale it down from 100w to a lower amount for when i practice at home. Have any of you used power scaling amps before?
[/quote]

We use a Hiwatt DR205 (200w PA head...) for bass, at home for practice and rehearsal, and for gigs, of course. The only difference, really, is that it's turned down at home, and turned up just a little more for gigs. There's no difference between playing softly and rocking out except that, with the latter, the sound of falling concrete is drowned out. If you're looking for a more 'dirty' sound, it'll be best coming from pedals, in any case, as the thunder tones of most valve amps, and Hiwatts more than others, comes from the whole 'shaking the earth' aspect, which a power soak cannot give. The best, 'studio level' simulation was, 'back then', obtained by putting the cab face down on the carpeted floor and turning up the wick on the amp. Best for guitar, though, as the KT88 valves are notoriously difficult to 'bend'. That's why we have it, though clean bass at any and all sonic volumes.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469639008' post='3099975']
We use a Hiwatt DR205 (200w PA head...) for bass, at home for practice and rehearsal, and for gigs, of course. The only difference, really, is that it's turned down at home, and turned up just a little more for gigs. There's no difference between playing softly and rocking out except that, with the latter, the sound of falling concrete is drowned out. If you're looking for a more 'dirty' sound, it'll be best coming from pedals, in any case, as the thunder tones of most valve amps, and Hiwatts more than others, comes from the whole 'shaking the earth' aspect, which a power soak cannot give. The best, 'studio level' simulation was, 'back then', obtained by putting the cab face down on the carpeted floor and turning up the wick on the amp. Best for guitar, though, as the KT88 valves are notoriously difficult to 'bend'. That's why we have it, though clean bass at any and all sonic volumes.
Just my tuppence-worth.
[/quote]

good advice, thank you! I thought as much with regard to just turning it down, last time I did that with a big watt amp the electrics in the house blew!

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1469602375' post='3099584']
The Mk3 Sound City's are close, the Mk4s are sh*te tho :)
[/quote]

If you get a good mk4 they are pretty decent. If you get a 'bad un' then noise is your friend :(. I got lucky with a 'bedroom' condition mk4 at a knockdown price. It was broke, aka needed a new pre amp tube. Bought cheap enough they make a good donor for Hiwatt conversion.

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1469639135' post='3099976']
good advice, thank you! I thought as much with regard to just turning it down, last time I did that with a big watt amp the electrics in the house blew!
[/quote]

Bad luck, I'd say..! Our 'cottage' has a total capacity of 3 kw for everything (it was a 'temporary' meter installed 15 years ago, never up-rated...). All of our amps are valve (Mesa Simul-class 2:90, Marshall 100w, Fender Bassman and the Hiwatt...); we use all of that stuff at decent, studio volume generally. If we want to get rid of the cobwebs, we push the cabs outside and frighten the cows, but not very often. I've never had an amp failure except an HA3500 (trannie kapput just out of guarantee...), so I'd say that there's no great problem with playing turned down. Others may have other experiences, but I spent a good few years as a tech in a music shop, and never came across such issues.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469640148' post='3099987']
Bad luck, I'd say..! Our 'cottage' has a total capacity of 3 kw for everything (it was a 'temporary' meter installed 15 years ago, never up-rated...). All of our amps are valve (Mesa Simul-class 2:90, Marshall 100w, Fender Bassman and the Hiwatt...); we use all of that stuff at decent, studio volume generally. If we want to get rid of the cobwebs, we push the cabs outside and frighten the cows, but not very often. I've never had an amp failure except an HA3500 (trannie kapput just out of guarantee...), so I'd say that there's no great problem with playing turned down. Others may have other experiences, but I spent a good few years as a tech in a music shop, and never came across such issues.
[/quote]

thanks again, bad luck indeed! I'm sure the electronics issue was something else, but my parents were probably eager to use it as an opportunity to point the finger at anything bass related!

the Mywatt looks decent! I have heard good things about Sound City, but people have said its hit or miss.

I had an interesting email exchange with Clayton at Hi-tone, they seem very good and build it to vintage spec as opposed to the modern one, which Hiwatt do. They take great pride in what they do, although I'm sure all builders do

I fully agree, but I wanted to avoid any costly cap changes, power socket change and finding Fane Cresendos is like rocking horse stuff...so for the same ish money I've got a new one being built and shipped... Thankfully paid for before the pound to dollar slump.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1469602375' post='3099584']
The Mk3 Sound City's are close, the Mk4s are sh*te tho :)
[/quote]

The Mk 4 Sound City is great if you know how to use the active tone controls. Same power section as the Mk 3, and more easily found on places like eBay. They can also be converted to a Hiwatt DR 103 clone quite easily, since they are an evolution of the same basic design.