Why become a member? ×

Do i need an amp anymore?

FuNkShUi

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470058114' post='3102950']
Sounds more like crappy venue and/or engineer than a reason to rely on a cab of your own, if you know that can't happen (i.e. You have control of the PA like most function bands) that's not going to happen, failing that you need to do a JTUK and get written confirmation that there will be six db or d and b monitors at every gig!
[/quote]

The venue is fine and I've no qualms about their ability to put on gigs; they've been doing it long enough and will continue long after I've stopped playing. The bone of contention here was that we were given an assurance there'd be a bass enclosure and I stupidly gave mine the evening off (and in truth had a little jump of joy at the prospect of leaving it at home), although en route I did keep questioning that logic.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1470058282' post='3102953']
I've never used IEMs; in general I've just used my good ol' ears(!), which together with a combination of backline, monitors and live drums has worked pretty well for the last three decades or so. :)

Sure, there's been the odd instance where things may have gone a tad awry using this combination, but it's generally been in a situation where things are stacked against us (like last night), but we know our material backwards, are experienced enough to make the best of things and will grind through the set. We, like many bands, play small venues where the sound guy is simply there to cover vocals, plus the bass and snare drums, so there's no logic in saying that IEMs would have resolved anything last night.

I'm not pooping on IEMs in the slightest (I was citing my experience from last night only), but horses for courses as they say.
[/quote]
Fair enough!

PS know your songs backwards so you can even play them in the wrong key! :-p

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried this , I have a peavey XR1212 that has two 600w internal amps & a Sub out at 100kz . I tried using one of my Alto monitors but The best result was to go from My Roland GR55 straight into the Peavey , One of the 600w amps is driving two EV Tops & the other 600w amp I connected to one Barefaced super compact for stage sound . The sub out was connected to Two EV 700w powered Subs one of them I turned sideways . It gave a great sound & easy to set up .Time will tell .

Apologies if this is a thread hijack, it just seems easier to jump in on an existing thread than start yet another 'is my kit ok?' thread... :D

So, i have a small amp (Warwick Blue cab 15.1) i like the sound of. And my band's drummer is a laptop. If i turn up to do a gig with the little amp, will the sound engineer laugh at my titchy speaker or thank the gods of decibels that the bassist has no desire to rattle their stage to bits? :D

So far its been fine as i've played either comedy nights, which doesn't need to get loud, or somewhere where they had backline anyway. And 'my sound' mostly comes from my pedalboard...

I'm thinking of giving my Shure 215's a try out as IEM's, the singer has just bought (more) new gear and has an old tramitter hanging about plus I'm usually standing near the PA so getting a feed wouldn't be a problem. I think I already know I'd miss the 'feel' of a cab but for the sake of my hearing and easy load in and out it's worth a punt. I'd still have either my pedal board or a pre amp with me for tone tweaking to suit. Might be able to give it a test run before Saturday's gig just to try it out. I believe his presonus desk can also be controlled via an app so I cam 'mix' my own monitor feed which would be handy!

I have been rehearsing more and more at home via laptop and headphones and it makes sense to try this live.

I saw a completely amp-less band the other week. 4 piece - vox, gtr, bass, drums, with multi effects through the PA. A competent but uninspiring function band. The drums and bass sounded "okay", the vocals were a little lost and the guitar sounded especially weak. I appreciate it's one example but I didn't like the set up.

The show group I've just joined are talking about no amps on stage.
I've gone amp/cabless for the last two rehearsals.

The front man (who has also been an Elvis tribute for 15 years) does the sound and I must admit I'm rather liking it. It's strangely liberating :) .
Especially when he openly stated "I like a busy bass player" :o. He also has great taste with PA delivered bass tone.

They are are new project, bringing together three well respected local musicians, who have great contacts.
The front man has stated only warm ups this year, the big stuff next year. I'm happy with that.

So, do I need an amp anymore? No.
Am I selling backline? Yes, next week.
Am I selling ALL my backline. NEVER!!!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

One of the great advantages of a good monitoring system with IEM's etc is that you can do subtle, dynamics, textures, complimentary EQ, stereo staging, all manner of things that make great music sound great, rather than the regular wall of mush that you normally get at the Dog & Duck.......... Of course this level of monitoring, when everyone can hear everything kind of shows up those who have more watts than musical ability.........

Edited by paulmcnamara

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in with this - Ordered some bits and the end plan is to just use my Sansamp para driver (phantom powered) instead of my rig and entire pedalboard.

I'm gonna make baby steps into it TBH as it's gonna be a very different feel and I don't want it to be so much of a shock to the system that I immediately decide I don't like it...gonna keep taking small backline & pedals for a while and gradually phase it out....

Haven't gone expensive with the gear / in-ears themselves to start (wired headphone amp & Shure 215s), but figure if I can make it workable with those then anything else I get in the future would only be an improvement..here's hoping, the ability to only have to take a bass case or 2 out of the house is very appealing.....

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1474280247' post='3136682']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205633-in-ear-monitors-help-needed/"]http://basschat.co.u...rs-help-needed/[/url]

You may find this interesting!
[/quote]

Cheers matey, I've been through various sections of that thread a few times on my way to making the decision, plus Kert lives near me so I can tap him up for advice too :lol:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1474280834' post='3136696']
Cheers matey, I've been through various sections of that thread a few times on my way to making the decision, plus Kert lives near me so I can tap him up for advice too :lol:
[/quote]

Ha! Well i can offer my experiences and you're more than welcome to try my gear out.
But mr EBS_Freak is the yoda of IEMs and can answer any technical questions you may have.
It is a great feeling leaving with just a small rucksack and a bass though. Wouldn't be without my IEMs now

As I said above I'm hoping the end point will be just using a sansamp and nothing else. I think the main struggle for me will be giving up my other effects. It's really only a splash of distortion here and there and occasional octaver. First gigs of attempting to strip back are this weekend..

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1474447322' post='3138027']
As I said above I'm hoping the end point will be just using a sansamp and nothing else. I think the main struggle for me will be giving up my other effects. It's really only a splash of distortion here and there and occasional octaver. First gigs of attempting to strip back are this weekend..
[/quote]

Ah see, i dont use any effects. So cant comment on how successful it would have been if i did.
I dont even use a sansamp. Just EQ on my bass, with a touch of compression off the board. Job done

With technology today, no one really needs a huge amp and huge cab, including guitarists. Bassists can DI with a pedal of their choice and guitarist can move on to either super small rigs/combos or similar options to the bassist, tailored for guitars.

I would never buy a large rig now...and I've had great experiences with a few bands just using a Sansamps into the PA with no IEMs.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1474456998' post='3138129']
Ah see, i dont use any effects. So cant comment on how successful it would have been if i did.
I dont even use a sansamp. Just EQ on my bass, with a touch of compression off the board. Job done
[/quote]

Now [i]that [/i]is utopia!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474459382' post='3138159']
With technology today, no one really needs a huge amp and huge cab, including guitarists. Bassists can DI with a pedal of their choice and guitarist can move on to either super small rigs/combos or similar options to the bassist, tailored for guitars.

I would never buy a large rig now...and I've had great experiences with a few bands just using a Sansamps into the PA with no IEMs.
[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree - this weekend will be my first go at IEM's, we're in 2 venues we've played before so I think they'll provide a good benchmark for how I'm gonna feel about the IEM's..

My plan is to have a reduced backline on stage [i]just [/i]incase I freak out or can't get things working!! I'll also have my pedalboard but try and see if the songs sound good enough without using them. I think it's the octaver I'll miss most.

Well - Couldn't part with the effects just yet, but I have to say in-ears are an absolute revelation!

Did Saturday's gig with reduced backline on stage, only enough volume for the drummer to really hear it. Spoke to said drummer on Sunday afernoon and didn't even bother taking the amp/cab in for Sunday night's gig.

I've set my monitor feed up as a basic mix of everything, with my vocals and the bass pushed up a little just for my own purposes. Seems to work a treat.

Think I will be investing in higher spec earphones in the not too distant future though. Nothing really wrong with the SE215's, but it's obvious that you can get better, especially for bass applications.

In short - can't see me ever doing a gig without them now!

Now then, what to do with my amp and cabs?

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1474901827' post='3141378']
Think I will be investing in higher spec earphones in the not too distant future though. Nothing really wrong with the SE215's, but it's obvious that you can get better, especially for bass applications.
[/quote]
Quad balanced armature with dual lows as a starting point! :P

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1474961413' post='3141741']
Glad it worked out for you Lew!
I've kept my amp and cabs.
Just incase i ever need to play where i cant go through the PA or with IEMs.
I just love the fact i don't have to wait for a few hours post gig for my ears to stop ringing now!!
[/quote]

Yep what I'm thinking to do is to shift my super compacts and ABM1000, and re-invest the proceeds into a standby rig for what you describe above and better in-ears..keeping an amp and cabs of that spec 'just incase' seems a little over the top IMHO!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1474966220' post='3141808']
Quad balanced armature with dual lows as a starting point! :P
[/quote]

Cheers Russ, I know it makes sense! Thanks for all your advice!

After trying several set ups , as I use a Roland GR55 I've re programed it to mix the bass & synth sounds to one out put , I've got rid of my monitor & use the ABM1000 & Super compact as a monitor ( I'm trying the new Ashdown White coned speaker tomorrow as that has a tweeter ) . This set up I can use in small pubs & don't have to carry active subs & bigger venues the ABM & cab isn't any more hassle to carry than a monitor plus I can plonk the PA mixer on top of it .