Why become a member? ×

Cab for Traynor YBA-1?

Graham's Cat

Any recommendations for a cab to suit this amp? It's a 1971 50w all valve affair. Main guitar is Ric 4003 with occassional fretless . Prime use is studio orientated, so nothing huge is needed. I'm looking for good full-tonal range with dynamic response. Weight is another consideration. I like a weighty bottom end but also seek definition in the mid-range and clarity at the top, without hissing or hum. See...not too picky. Thanks in advance !

I've got one of these (a yba-1a), it came with a huge sealed 4x10 which worked OK. I've no longer got the cab but the amp is gathering dust so I should give it a go someday.

When I do it'll be with a sealed cab without a tweeter, i think sealed cabs work better with tube amps, and the natural roll off without a tweeter will help minimise the noise (mine hisses a bit, as do many old tube amps ime)

I used an ampeg 4x10he recently which would probably work pretty well with the traynor, bergantino nv series looks nice too but pretty pricey.

Just to say the traynor yba1 is a great amp.
Basically with such am amp you want a cab that projects the amps tone. But the any half decent amp will sound great with that head.
Maybe I would stay away from sterile cabs or cabs that add a certain tone.

Taken the plunge on the 4x10 front ported Markbass. The Ampeg 115HE had all the aestheics right yet felt stifled or lacking in dynamic range in my opinion. Looked into used cabs, unfortunately there wasn't anything suitable or local plus I'm sceptical about buying used cabs. The Ampeg is up for sale. I originally got it to match the PF50T I had on order. When it arrived six weeks later it wasn't working properly, had PCB circuitry and was made in China. Way over priced given the build quality.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1469961667' post='3102263']

Out of interest TC, how would you describe your idea of a 'sterile' cab?
[/quote]

Good question haha. A sterile cab to me is one that imparts nothing to the tone but not is it super transparent in that way some cabs truly allows a good amp to shine by itself etc. Sterile in a cab wouldn't be a bad thing as such. Just you won't get a certain tone combo and it won't allow what some better cabs can do.