Why become a member? ×

ideas for small stage keyboards

dadofsix

Greetings from across the pond. My main band has just lost our keyboard player because of family matters. This is somewhat of a problem because of the lack of good keyboard players in my area. While I'm the bass player in this band, I've played keys in other bands. I'm not interested in going back to being the keyboard player for this band, though . . . no, I'm a bass player in my heart of hearts. The problem is that we are giving up about 25 good songs that I could be contributing key parts to while the song is being performed. So my question:

Can any of you who also play the keys, or use a keyboard player in your shows, recommend a small quality keyboard for use live? I've been trying to find something like a Korg Microstation here but it looks like I won't be getting it without being "gored." I don't want to have to drag around a big keyboard rig, plus the bass rig, just for the sake of having keys in a few songs. I'd be using my hands to play it. I'm NOT Geddy Lee! lol

So, any thoughts on a good compact keyboard for this bass player to use onstage for piano or organ fills while I have a bass hanging from around my neck?

<><Peace

(To the moderators: my apologies if this post is in the wrong section. Please feel free to move it to where it needs to be.)

Have a look at the M-Audio Prokeys 88sx - full sized keys, pretty portable & has a few basic on board sounds that should cover your piano/organ needs. Can also be used as a MIDI controller if you want to use any software to boost your sounds without taking up any more space than a laptop would. Cheap too.

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1469629238' post='3099869']
Greetings from across the pond. My main band has just lost our keyboard player because of family matters. This is somewhat of a problem because of the lack of good keyboard players in my area. While I'm the bass player in this band, I've played keys in other bands. I'm not interested in going back to being the keyboard player for this band, though . . . no, I'm a bass player in my heart of hearts. The problem is that we are giving up about 25 good songs that I could be contributing key parts to while the song is being performed. So my question:

Can any of you who also play the keys, or use a keyboard player in your shows, recommend a small quality keyboard for use live? I've been trying to find something like a Korg Microstation here but it looks like I won't be getting it without being "gored." I don't want to have to drag around a big keyboard rig, plus the bass rig, just for the sake of having keys in a few songs. I'd be using my hands to play it. I'm NOT Geddy Lee! lol

So, any thoughts on a good compact keyboard for this bass player to use onstage for piano or organ fills while I have a bass hanging from around my neck?

<><Peace

(To the moderators: my apologies if this post is in the wrong section. Please feel free to move it to where it needs to be.)
[/quote][quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1469630806' post='3099894']
Get the guitarist to do it? Lol
[/quote]
Our guitarist does just that. he bought a Roland GR55 (i think) and plays in little fills or melodys. Not great for piano type playing but fills a lot in for us without having to have a keyboard player!

Please tell a bit more about how you would use it, like music styles, whether you'd play it with one or two hands, the number of octaves you need, whether you'd accept full size keys, slim keys and micro keys, etc.
Also, is the MicroStation an example of the exact type of machine you want or are you flexible in that aspect? Will you use acoustic piano sounds, for example?

A 3-octave, 4-voice analogue synth like the new Korg Minilogue is a steal at roughly USD 500, but is not the travel-through-the-history-of-synth-use-in-popular-music that for example the Alesis Micron / Akai Miniak is with its hundreds of presets and Virtual Analogue synth motor. Neither would produce good acoustic piano sounds, whereas many workstations, often with large keyboards, do.

Budget too of course!

Edited by BassTractor

Thanks for the responses. At this point in my career, I'm probably looking to buy used because I'd like to keep it under $500.00. I've already got a Korg Trinity and two Tritons, so I'm looking for something much smaller. I don't even care about full size keys. I just want the sound. As an example, one song would be Colour My World, by Chicago. People love to slow dance to it. Another would be the the flute part to Can't You See, by The Marshall Tucker Band. Then an organ sound would be nice on some of the country songs we do. I'm not looking for extravagance, I'm looking for utility. :-)

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1469801826' post='3101178']
And I think we may have a winner with the MX49. Thanks to everyone for their input.

<><Peace
[/quote]

You're welcome. FWIW, Mrs. WoT got hers for £200 on eBay. Presumably there are similar bargains to be had on your site of the watter :-).