Why become a member? ×

Fender MIM paint finish, decision point

uk_lefty

Looks like the previous owner of my MIM Jazz used to play with some kind of wrist cuff on and attack hard with a pick. It's left a long dull patch on the body where it has been constantly scraped and scratched. Question is what to do now?
A. Nothing. But this leaves a dull patch that can catch the light. and this is my experiment bass...
B. Repair job. Could use t-cut or something similar? This is wine red though...
C. Relic job. I'd like the idea of speeding up the natural wear and taking this down to undercoat and wood but not sure it wouldn't end up looking completely sh!t and amateur...
Thoughts and advice most gratefully received

A1; Leave it - it's all part of the life and character of the bass. THAT is true mojo.

I've got a Warwick Corvette that's got dings and scrapes. It even has a child's writing on the back where a child wrote on a piece of paper, in Chinese, and the writing has imprinted into the wood. When I first bought it I thought I'd re-fin it. Instead, I got fine sandpaper and smoothed the edges of the dings that bothered me and did no more. It adds to the character.

• 2 weeks later...

Dings don't bother me... this is just a really long dull patch that spoils a quite attractive bass and looks like someone was wearing a punk spiky wristband while thrashing the living sh!t out of the bass with a grass rake for a pick! The natural dings and wear are part of what the bass is - a 20 yr old instrument that rarely gets treated to travel in a case :)

• 2 weeks later...