Why become a member? ×

Wiring advice on a precision for an amateur!

JCBass

I recently bought an old battered no-name precision off of Fleabay to relic and use as a back up, however as can be the case with eBay, there's an issue with the electronics, there's only a buzzing sound when I plug in! As a disclaimer, I'm an absolute amateur when it comes to electronics, no knowledge, so excuse any stupid or blatant things I say. I looked up a wiring diagram and compared it to what's actually present on my bass and it appears that the Tip (hot output) is connected to the inner portion of the jack socket (should be connected to the outer I believe?) and that there is no wire (sleeve?) going from the tone pot to the jack socket. Also the ground wire is connected to both pots and the Jack socket (on the inner ring where the hot output should be), I don't know if this is correct?

If the jack socket was wired back to front you should still get a note, just extra noisy.
The pics aren't clear enough to be certain what's going on, but you can eliminate the pots by unsoldering the pickup and holding the wires onto one plug of a guitar cable. If that works, chuck the pots and put fresh ones in. If the pickup is problematic, get a used decent pickup in the Marketplace and start over.

If your not confident, then just go for the simple replace the lot option....although it would be good to teach yourself :)

Here is a cheap easy kit [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/precision-p-style-bass-solderless-guitar-wiring-harness-kit-orange-drop-tone-cap-/131885801855?hash=item1eb501a17f:g:bbYAAOSwnLdWqoCf"]http://www.ebay.co.u...bYAAOSwnLdWqoCf[/url]

Edited by mrn1989

Those pots are old. I also don't like bare wires at all - They're too open to short-circuits.

If I were you I'd replace the lot.

Problem 1: you're not me and your wiring/soldering skills may not be so good.
There's no reason why you can't buy the parts and learn. I did. And if it goes wrong we can advise.

Or, you could buy a harness from KiOgon who, I believe, does a top-job.

Good luck whatever you chose to do.

I think you should as said test the pu as stated in a post above. Buy a soldering iron and the rest of the parts and make one up yourself.

However as others have said asking kiogon to make you one up is a good idea also as it will be done right the first time and will be a better job than your first try and it probably won't be as expensive as getting the bits and a decent soldering iron together