Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Bass Driver DI (BDDI) - New version (V2) - MIDS!

Musicman20

Whilst this technically might be V3, I think as the last model was around for SO long that they've kept the V2 for this version.

All those wanting more mids can now add mids in with a specific control selectable between two frequencies.

Bass also now has two frequencies.

http://tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html

Basically the same great pedal with a few fixes after many bassists wanting more midrange flexibility.

What is good is that despite this being killer with a P bass straight into the board, it will now be less of an obvious Ampeg/mid scoop if you don't want it to be. Better for perhaps a Jazz or Stingray.

They say it makes it better for extended range basses as well.

They are currently £200 ish, but some shops are stating more. Not only that, a few stores have told me prices are rising significantly because of the leave vote.

I'm just about to sell my old non-mids version and I'll upgrade soon. That pedal has been stellar for 8 years!

Edited by Musicman20

This looks great - I tried the regular Para Driver hoping it would be like the Bass Driver but with mids and it, well, wasn`t. This one is def gonna be on my shopping list as the current one is a permanently on pedal for me. Love the change of bass & mid frequencies too.This could end up being my only pedal as I currently get my eq from my Tonehammer. Niiiiiiiiice.

Edited to say, one on its way. Which hopefully will be nice.

Edited by Lozz196

Sold my old one, new V2 arrived safely with usual tin and new revised manual.

Compact, well built and nicely laid out.

Happy I've gone ahead :)

I'll be testing it this weekend.

I could be wrong, but it 'appears' smaller. I assume it is the same size build but the extra controls give the illusion that it is a little more crammed.

Edited by Musicman20

I'm a sucker for Tech21 stuff, I really am. I've been running a BDDI for a long time now (and an RBI and a VTBass DI), but you know, I bought an old GT2 off here a while back and that's pretty much doing it for me at the moment. I didn't know they'd updated the BDDI until a few minutes ago and I'm (at this stage) a little indifferent about whether it's an essential purchase. I'll give it a bit. Wait for the pound to recover.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1469800972' post='3101167']
This looks great - I tried the regular Para Driver hoping it would be like the Bass Driver but with mids and it, well, wasn`t. This one is def gonna be on my shopping list as the current one is a permanently on pedal for me. Love the change of bass & mid frequencies too.This could end up being my only pedal as I currently get my eq from my Tonehammer. Niiiiiiiiice.

Edited to say, one on its way. Which hopefully will be nice.
[/quote]

Hiya Lozz, interested in what you thought was missing about the Para Driver, as my experience so far was the opposite, for me the Para driver is the bass driver, with mid control...YM obviously did V :D

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1470228440' post='3104252']
Now if i could buy one modded with a mids freq knob instead of a button i would stop having to emulate on with a multiFX.
[/quote]

See above, for me, that's what the Para Driver is. YMMV!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1470667167' post='3107477']
Hiya Lozz, interested in what you thought was missing about the Para Driver, as my experience so far was the opposite, for me the Para driver is the bass driver, with mid control...YM obviously did V :D
[/quote]

Hi Lewis, well I was hoping the core tone with everything at midday would be the same, but with added mid-control, but to me it didn`t have that, it was nowhere near as full sounding as the BDDI. I think the way I`d describe it is like playing bass through a guitar amp - it sounds fine, but then when you plug into a bass amp suddenly you get a bit of kit more suitable for the frequencies of the instrument. I had the pair in-line, A/B-ing them and the Para Driver to me kept more of the instruments sound itself, whereas the BDDI adds its own heavy flavouring so to speak.

Well an update to this - it`s going back. The new version doesn`t have that really full-on depth to it of the original, pretty much like my experience with the Para Driver. So it looks like the original is staying.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470745707' post='3108076']
Well an update to this - it`s going back. The new version doesn`t have that really full-on depth to it of the original, pretty much like my experience with the Para Driver. So it looks like the original is staying.
[/quote]

Oh dear! :blink:

That is strange, sorry to hear that! Mine seems to be exactly the same yet the mids are more present if you want them to be. I've really gone off scooped mids as I've moved away from heavier music and that's the reason I wanted the BDDI with mids..to have the 'tube amp tone with grind' but so that I didn't keep having to boost mids on everything so much.

Yeah it`s weird, the new one just doesn`t seem to have the same "ooomph". I have the Blend on my old one set at 50%, on the new one I have to set it on full and even then the sound still isn`t quite as much as the old one.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the differences in circuitry, settings on the V1 Bass Driver will not match settings on the V2 units. The manual for the V2 has the new settings. When we test these pedals we do it on a scope as it's very difficult to match by ear and even matching identical pedals will be slightly different because potentiometers have slightly varied values.

• 4 weeks later...