Why become a member? ×

Installation of Bartolini's into the Maruszczyk Jazz 5.

bubinga5

Im no tech person but its really quite easy to install new pickups. Just a good soldering iron and a bit of common sense. oh and you tube .

This bass was originally a great bass, when it comes down to construction. Had Delano single coils, which weren't my favourite. Now it is just superb. Its articulate with the Delano pre, with a fantastic low end from the Bart's. I will be changing out the Delano. its way to clean for me. Im thinking of maybe a Bartolini 3 band. Or an East. I don't particularly want a Marcus tone as I think a lot of it comes from the 70's spacing anyways, and this bass hasn't got that. I just want a fat, punchy, growly tone. Ok that sounds like a Marcus tone. he he. Im half way there with the Barts and the DR fat beams. I just need a different preamp

Its fabulous to play. The neck reminds me of the Lakland 5502. The instrument is light which I dig. All in all these instruments are out there. Its not my favourite jazz bass ever. That goes to the Sei, but its pretty close, seeing as the Sei is over twice the price new.
This is a keeper, just fabulous instruments are these Maruszczyk's

Edited by bubinga5

I'm not sure of the Delano pre but I swapped out a Fender pre with Glock 3 way and the bass is more articulate across the pre amp spectrum by quite some way. I found the Fender had such a narrow window for getting the pre to sound nice..and you had to have new strings.
Now, the Glock works anyway you dial the sound in. A quality piece of kit. Not extreme like the East and quite flat and transparent.
This brings out the sound of the bass and me better. It might even rescue the Fender pickups.

If you like the Barts who not look at Bart pres..

I've got the same issue matching up pickups which the Glock..at least you have pre and pickup option by the same maker which is probably where I'd start.

I always tend to think powerful pre's first task is to mask the sound of the instrument...but if the core sound is very good, you need the extremes less..

• 2 months later...