Why become a member? ×

Newbie hello

chickencole

Hi There,

My middle son (13) of 3, has decided to start learning the Double Bass (upright), and is currently using the school double bass which they have kindly leant us for the holidays, normally it stays at school and he has to practice after school. He has only been learning since June, 4 lessons to date. He is covering bowing and plucking (probably not the right terminology sorry) in his lessons. He is currently practicing regularly at home and I know getting access to the instrument to practice, when it's based at school is sometimes difficult. He would like his own instrument! I have joined this forum to get as much information as possible in terms of how much? what to look for etc. I don't want to get an instrument just yet since I want to be sure that it's not a passing phase!

I have started to look at Double Basses on those well know internet auction sites to get a feel for what instruments go for. We will be looking at the budget end!

Does it matter if an instrument is being offered without a bow? Will the set up be wrong for bowing? Given the fact that he has only just started would it matter?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Welcome Chickencole.

A couple of years ago there was news that double bass players were a diminishing commodity and that some orchestra directors were seriously concerned for the future. The size of the instrument was apparently the reason it was no longer being taken up by significant numbers of students. I'm very glad to hear that your child is having a go.

Electric Upright Bass (search for "EUB" in this forum) may be a solution. I have looked longingly at some of the skeleton uprights but I have yet to try the DB. I think that's something I'll leave for my dotage.

Is it too early to ask if he's liking it?

[quote name='chickencole' timestamp='1469870724' post='3101578']
It would be fair to say he is loving it at the moment!
[/quote]

That's very good to hear. I hope you get some good pointers off the forum, there are a good few double bassists here I believe.

[quote name='chickencole' timestamp='1469860617' post='3101520']
Does it matter if an instrument is being offered without a bow? Will the set up be wrong for bowing? Given the fact that he has only just started would it matter?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
[/quote]Welcome, chickencole !

V sensible questions ! The bow can be almost as individual as the bass, and sometimes pretty expensive, so worth taking advice on the bow separately. Yes, basses can have different strings and setups for bowing, so again worth taking advice and asking those questions over on the upright bass part of the forum, you're bound to get good help. Yes, when learning any instrument I think it always matters that the instrument and setup is capable of feeling and sounding good to play, and should be set up to be physically natural and easy to make good sound.

The upside of playing upright bass is that is always cool, and you'll always walk into a band. The downside is always practicality ! It not only opens doors, people open doors for you ;) Go for and welcome again !

LD

Edited by luckydog

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for the responses from everyone, and apologies for the tardy response, the summer holidays!

I will look to putting a similar post on the Eub (electric upright bass?) and double bass section as recommended by BassBunny. Would also be interested (from a practical point of view) in the merits of an Electric Double bass.